visual studio 2010 and 2008 ide on windows 7 64 bit seems to be blocked from reading the registry RRS feed

• Question

• I am using:
    1. visual studio 2008 and visual studio 2010
    2. windows 7 ultimate
    3. 64 bit gateway
    4. I am using a third party control that has been registered using regsvr32
    5. its wrapper was created with 64 bit aximp
    6. The code runs but  in design mode nothing shows:
    Warning 1 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))  0 0 

7.I used regedit and tried to give all the user's permission to read the registry entry for the item - didn't work.

8. The same code and situation works fine in windows vista home: which means  visual studio cannot read the registry on the windows 7 pc

What do I need to do

• Moved by SamAgain Friday, November 5, 2010 8:38 AM not 64bit .net question (From:64-Bit .NET Framework Development.)
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:30 PM

Answers

• use process monitor to see where the code is looking for the ActiveX's class ID, and where regsvr32 is writing the ActiveX's class ID. 

If those do not match, you probably want to visit a Visual Studio IDE forum to see how do you setup the ActiveX registration during a build process.

If you want to register the ActiveX manually independent of the build process, visit the Windows SDK forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest creating a new thread for your question in the (Windows > Windows Forums > Windows 7 Forums > Programs ) forum located here:  (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7programs/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Siddharth Chavan Tier II Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Here is the Windows SDK forum: Windows Desktop SDK

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest creating a new thread for your question in the (Windows > Windows Forums > Windows 7 Forums > Programs ) forum located here:  (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7programs/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Siddharth Chavan Tier II Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:12 AM
  • use process monitor to see where the code is looking for the ActiveX's class ID, and where regsvr32 is writing the ActiveX's class ID. 

If those do not match, you probably want to visit a Visual Studio IDE forum to see how do you setup the ActiveX registration during a build process.

If you want to register the ActiveX manually independent of the build process, visit the Windows SDK forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Here is the Windows SDK forum: Windows Desktop SDK

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:04 PM