Is this COA of a Microsoft Home Premium Legitimate? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I am planning to purchase it from an online

seller, but I asked him first to take a photo of the COA sticker on top of the box.

• Edited by JP Caparas Friday, November 4, 2011 3:09 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:54 AM

Answers

• COA stickers can look authentic but may actually be counterfeit.  It is important to research the seller thorughly and make sure you are purchasing software from a reliable, trustworthy seller with a proven track record of customer satisfaction.  Please review: How to know you're buying genuine Windows
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:11 AM

All replies

• COA stickers can look authentic but may actually be counterfeit.  It is important to research the seller thorughly and make sure you are purchasing software from a reliable, trustworthy seller with a proven track record of customer satisfaction.  Please review: How to know you're buying genuine Windows
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Do NOT purchase Windows 7 from an individual seller online.  The web is loaded with counterfeit copies produced in China.  These fakes are excellent copies and are being distributed via individuals online.  This is particularly true of eBay, the Amazon Marketplace and discount websites.  Here is a taste of what the counterfeiters are producing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

Do NOT put a product key in an email or publish it in a forum or any other public venue.

Even if the product key is valid (likely) you can still get caught if the key is a not-for-resale key, such as MSDN, TechNet, BizSpark, etc.  These keys are blocked by Microsoft after a few weeks or months as Microsoft begins to detect the key abuse.  What activates today will go non-genuine shortly.

Your only guarantee of the genuiness of a retail product key is to buy only from a trusted source such as the Microsoft Store, Amazon Corp., or other trusted Microsoft partner.

THERE ARE NO BARGAINS IN GENUINE WINDOWS 7.  You can get 10-15% off, but any more than that is unlikely.  Read some of the other threads in this forum to see what I mean.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, he is selling it to my for quite a low price. What I've noticed in the COA sticker is that it has a blue strip instead of a red strip.

However, I still have my doubts if I should purchase it because it says "Made in Puerto Rico," which many people say means the package is legit.

Thanks! 
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:46 AM
  • However, I still have my doubts if I should purchase it because it says "Made in Puerto Rico," which many people say means the package is legit.

Or perhaps the counterfeiters have corrected their error.

Follow Colin's advice.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:16 AM
    Answerer
  • "JP Caparas" wrote in message news:3ff6dded-8b44-42bc-987c-e019d7b713b7...
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, he is selling it to my for quite a low price. What I've noticed in the COA sticker is that it has a blue strip instead of a red strip.

However, I still have my doubts if I should purchase it because it says "Made in Puerto Rico," which many people say means the package is legit.

Thanks! 

People can print anything – what is certain is that ones printed with “Made in the USA” are fake (as are any that state “Made on the moon” – but you’re not likely to see any of them<g>)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:44 AM