I have windows home server 2011 and no mater what I do I can not enable streaming in the network and sharing center and in the whs dashboard. In the network and sharing center when the "turn on media streaming" button is pressed it grays out and then still dispays "turn on media sharing". In the dash board the "turn on" button stays on untill you close the window then it turns off. I have looked everywhere for other people that are have this problem with no luck. This is a fresh install, the software installed is microsoft security essentials, comodo system utilities, logmein hamachi, logmein free, oracle virtualbox the add-ins in stalled are remote launcher and drive info. The only thing that I have not tried is moding the registry. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated because I have exhausted my resources. Thank you
- Changed type morgan4119 Monday, October 01, 2012 7:07 PM need help
You mean the turn on button is grayed out?
Could you please share the snapshot as followed?
At the same time, I suggest that you could run the Windows Server Solutions log collector to verify the dashboard.log.
You could download the Windows Server Solutions Log Collector as followed:
Title: Windows Server Solutions Log Collector Tool
TechNet Community Support
- Edited by James XiongModerator Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:51 AM
It seems likely to me that your problem is either:
- related to the software you've installed from the server's desktop (particularly Microsoft Security Essentials, which should not have allowed installation on Windows Home Server 2011),
- related to some media you've got in one of your media shares which is causing problems (invalid codec, tags, etc. can cause issues, though not generally this issue), or
- something went wrong in the installation process for Windows Home Server.
I would start with the first option, and remove software one item at a time and testing as you go until you get back to a clean server. If that doesn't solve the issue, I would back up the data currently on the server, then wipe it and reinstall. Post reinstallation, I would turn media sharing on early (before installing any add-ins, putting data in the shares, etc.) and observe the server to see when/if media sharing stops working.
I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)