Windows SQM Consolidator

Question

• The OneCare firewall is asking me to allow this application daily. Everyday I accept this and the next day is the firewall asking me again. Why? Is this application changing everyday?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your English is fine. :-)

I don't know why you are being prompted daily to allow this. This is a component of the Windows Live Messenger

"Customer Experience Improvement Program." You can disable this by opting out. In Messenger, tools/options/general tab - "Quality Improvement" section.

If you don't want to disable this, please contact support to determine why you are being prompted daily for this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hello Steve,

thanks for your reply. The funny thing is, this option in Windows Live Messenger is not activated. I have start a ticket how you describe it and hope the experts will find an answer. I will post it here.

Regards Frank

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for contacting support, Frank. I look forward to learning what the cause is.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:18 PM
  • I think I have find out the causer. It´s not the Windows Live Messenger - it´s Outlook 2007. There I have activate the Quality Monitoring, so I think this is the starter of the Windows SQM Consolidator.

Steve, could you please inform the support-team about this fact, so we can learn to manage this issue?

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Interesting. As I noted, it should *not* be prompting you daily for access if you allowed it access. In fact, it should only ever prompt you have configured the firewall to always ask before granting access, meaning that nothing gets through the firewall unless you allow it.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 6:23 PM
  •  

Now we are going a step forward. ;-)

The causer is wsqmcons.exe - this file isn´t listed in the application-list of OneCare. The support-guy did recommend to create a rule manually. This way isn´t an option because this file is not available in OneCare. That´s funny. I can see this file in \windows\system32 if I use the Windows-Explorer but I can´t see it in the OneCare-window. So the support-guy did inform me the experts will create a solution in a few days.

Frank

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:04 PM
  • It sounds like the person you worked with believes that it will be added to the recognized programs list for the firewall. If so, that's great.

Thanks for the update.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:24 AM
  • The experts are guessing it´s a virus on my machine that OneCare did not catch. I did scan the system with Avast, Avira, Dr.Web-CureIt and AVG 8 - the system is clean.

Now - the problem is eskalated to the developper because this issue is unknown. I did hope I can solve the problem and did uncheck the customer-feedback in Outlook 2007 but this did not help. The firewall was asking me again today...

Saturday, March 01, 2008 11:25 AM
  •  Outlook is not the problem. Read on, I hope this help's' both you, and Steve.

Donald58.

I have: Windows Vista Home Prem. SP1w/o 5 language standalone

w/ Office 2007 H & S ed.

I chose to buy:

AVG Internet Security ver. 8.0 (I downloaded Spybot-Search & Destroy fr. [Safer Networking] {has great Res. Shield} & all is updated reg.)

“AVG Firewall Asks"... 

Application 'Windows SQM Consolidator' is tiring to establish TCP connection

with remote IP address 131.107.113.76 : 443

Do you want to allow this communication?

What's this App. & 'TCP' & As I was typing this...

Application 'Acer Assist' is tiring to establish TCP connection

with remote IP address 207.66.2.46 : 443

THEN;

Application 'Windows SQM Consolidator' is tiring to establish TCP connection

with remote IP address 131.107.113.76 : 443   AGAIN,

2nd time w/ in an HOUR?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Windows SQM Consolidator sends usage information to Microsoft. This is the Customer Experience Improvement Program which you chose to join when you installed Vista. I don't know about Acer Assist but I suspect it also gathers usage information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I thought, however I wanted others to know that it's not just Windows Firewall's, but others pick it up also.

Many people don't know that all 'OS' s are a work in progress, and will remain as such until...?...? It true of MS, Apple, Linux, and others. 

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:36 AM
  • There is not a problem with the connection attempts of SQM Consolidator, but OneCare is asking me daily to allow this connection.

Btw. the ticket is open furthermore. The developper did suggest me I should install the SP1 that would solve the problem. I did so - but the issue is not solved.

So, they are working on it and I have to wait...

Wink

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:05 PM
  • I have this problem as well.  Exactly as you describe.  I have they can fix it soon.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:13 AM
  • The problem is not solved. The last suggestion of support was to remove OneCare. The re-installation was successful but the problem exists further.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:31 AM
  • I have unmarked the thread as answered. Sorry to read that the problem persists.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:12 PM
  • About your problem with Windows SQM Consolidator the following

Open windows Onecare

On the left plane Click on Change settings

When the user control window opens Click Continue

A new window will open "Windows Live Onecare Settings"

Click on the "Advance Settings" Button

A new window will open "Windows Live Onecare Firewall Advanced Settings"

On the programs Tab you should see a list of programs

with TWO (2) buttons next to each program titled "Allow" or "Block"

Scroll down the list untill you find "Windows SQM Consolidator"

And make sure the Allow button is selected

Then Click "OK"

Problem Solved

Steve

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Nope sorry, this did not work. I have had this annoyance for a couple of months also. Vista 64 ultimate (sp1) with windows one care.  Windows one care is not an option when I go into the firewall like you described above. It does show up when I go into my firewall settings in control panel. There you will also see that the firewall is not shown as being on even though one care has it enabled when you access it through that program. You cannot get to wsqmcons from one care but you can add it from the formentioned control panel firewall area. This problem came up months after I installed one care and I am not sure if it was after sp1 or not but I have had vista since the launch and one care since it would work with 64 bit systems. I will post again if adding the exceptions in control panel\firewall did any good or not.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:00 AM
  • Hello Boxxergeek,

that´s an interesting way. I did see the Windows Firewall is deactivated so I did not expect that it is possible to create a rule in this options. But you are right - it is possible. Funny...

I did create a rule for the SQM and now I hope the system will surprise me.  ;-)

Btw. The ticket that I did open is closed. I gave up with this supporters... The last suggestion was to re-install Vista. What a solution... I´m not happy with this.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:15 AM
  • Boxergeek, the Windows firewall via Control Panel will not affect the OneCare firewall. The OneCare firewall is controlled from within OneCare. If the Windows firewall remains active along with the OneCare firewall, you need to turn off the Windows Firewall. OneCare should have done this when it was installed.

When you open the Security Center and click on Windows Firewall, it should be reported as *off* and no settings should be available to you.

Having two active firewalls can certainly cause unexpected behavior.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:16 PM
  • It has been my experience to be prompted on a regular basis, as any outgoing communication from my comfuser prompts a secure set-up to alert  me to a " behind the GUI" communication going on while I am online ( or off busy, deep into a project, for that matter). Once I gave Win SQM Consolidator my Carte Blanche okay to report on unseen conflicts, or horrible messes that I have caused in my attempts at familiarization with Vista's many repair tools and solution possibilities, without alerting me, I know that the troubleshooters who come out with updates and patches are benefitting from the SQM (Seriously Questionable Mistakes) Consolidator's communications sent on an as needed basis. As a result, periodically, NEW solutions pop up, are updated, or show up in my email. A tool such as this provides info to the Technical Support Infrastructure as to whether the problem is with my individual habits, a software conflict, or a security leak that needs attending to-hence the request for "permission to assist in the streamlining of the Windows user's experience." I for one am grateful for my little passenger pigeon that carries information to Redmond from Atlanta, wthout my having to know all of the hows, whens and wherefroms that are involved.  

docdjital

-djc

Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:01 PM
  • I have this exact problem.  

problem:
    Windows SQM Consolidator cases oncare to to prompt for action from me on daily bases.
    It doesn't matter wich of the 3 options i select (allow this program, block this program, block for now and ask me again later).  I will get prompted again in few hours.  

I do not see windows SQM consolidator in the list of programs under onecare advaced firewall settings.
    If i click add to add the program to the list i can not locate wsqmcons.exe under c:\windows\system32.
    This file does exsist and If i browse the directory using windows explorer or command prompt i do see it.

system:
    Windows vista ultimate 64bit  (they had 64 bit as well)
    Outlook 2007 installed (they had this as well)
    AMD atholon processor

I seem to think this problem started after i installed IE 8 Beta 2 not sure though.

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I suggest contacting support as this problem remains unresolved here in the forum.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:19 PM
  • djc: " ...grateful for my little passenger pigeon that carries information to Redmond  ... "

I feel this way about the quality improvement programs and feedback, too ... as someone else posted, all OS's are a 'work in progress' and I believe that the information they gather really _does_ help them come up with solutions. I really like Vista and am still glad I was an early adopter ... it has been hard to see all the negative press. With all the tens of thousands of hardware/software configurations spanning longs periods of time, it is great that our computers work as well as they do ... cheers ... berry

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:45 AM
  • nimaj: " ...

I seem to think this problem started after i installed IE 8 Beta 2 not sure though. "

This is why I came into this forum for the first time tonight ... I was looking for information on IE 8 Beta and the new Wave 3 Betas of the Windows Live apps. I just loaded Microsoft Equipt early this morning and had a number of problems. Everything seems stable now (except for the problem with the trial version of Home and Student not converting) and my next two things on the update To Do List was to try the IE 8 Beta and the new Wave 3 Betas.

I may already have to uninstall/reinstall because of the Office problem (waiting to hear from support) but I don't want to create more problems if the current version of Windows Live OneCare is not known to tolerate the current Beta versions of IE 8. I really want to try it, though.

Nimaj ... if you come back in this forum, could you give an update on any problems with IE 8 and OneCare ... anyone else who has OneCare and is trying the IE 8 Beta?

Thanks for any experience feedback ... berry

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:58 AM
  •  

Berry,

The warrning I used to get stopped once I unchecked the option "always ask me whether to block or allow programs".  I also have the wave 3 beta's installed.  Over all I haven't had any problems with them.

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Good news... A friend is leading me to the solution. Vista provides a task to send the information of “Customer Experience Improvement Program” to Microsoft daily. You can stop this task and OneCare will not longer ask you.

In your taskplaner\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program you will find “Consolidator” and “OptinNotification”. I did delete this tasks and now the problem is gone.

Sure it´s not a good solution for Microsoft to stop this task, but Microsoft couldn´t help me, so I have to help me myself. 

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I had this problem also in Vista x64 Business.  The program wsqmcons.exe, which is somehow 'ghosted' in Windows\System32 actually resides in C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-sqm-consolidator-base_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_2e2745711d097a21

Here you can find the elusive wsqmcons.exe and add it to your OneCare Firewall advanced rules as per a previous poster.

I found it with an advanced search including hidden and system files. 

After allowing this with the OneCare Firewall rules I have not had it pop back up again.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:40 AM