Just had a very cunning idea for an add-in RRS feed

• Question

• Evening Brothers and Sisters,

What we really "lack" in homeserver is a hardware monitor.

Al'a Motherboard monitor.

Shouldnt be to hard to do "i think" must be some way to use "perfmon" to show temps/bandwidth/"fanspeeds (can perfmon really show this)" and soo on.

Sometimes i wish i had a blackbelt in C#, but hey i bet theres some one else out there that does.

Hope to see an add-in like the one i requested in this post.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:04 PM

All replies

• A much better solution would be to figure out how to access the information that SpeedFan can supply. Going direct to the hardware (required for most of the information you'd probably want) isn't easy, and it's getting harder every year to get the information out of the manufacturers. That's what eventually ended Motherboard Monitor.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Yeah, this was one of my first ideas for an Add-In.

As Ken says though getting all the pertinent info isn't easy, infact you'd be surprised at how hard it is. Things like the SMART status and HDD temps are fairly easy, but the CPU temps/fan is a different matter for a lot (most?) motherboards.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:13 PM
  •  

Hardware monitoring is on my wish list too.  I know there are a couple of widgets that pull temps, voltages, fan speeds, etc. out of Speedfan's log file.  I believe widgets are written in XML.  Would a similar approach work for a WHS add-in?

Can add-ins be written for the client software?  I would love to be able to monitor my home-built home theater PC/PVR from the server console.  I went to great pains to make it as quiet as possible.  Unfortunately, that means that it runs a little hot.  Normal temperatures are 40c in the case and 58c at the CPU.  It wouldn't survive long if a fan failed.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

do not know if this code will help

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\WMI")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
    "SELECT * FROM MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature",,48)
    For Each objItem in colItems
    Wscript.Echo "-----------------------------------"
    Wscript.Echo "MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature instance"
    Wscript.Echo "-----------------------------------"
    Wscript.Echo "CurrentTemperature: " & objItem.CurrentTemperature
    Wscript.Echo "CurrentTemperature: " & objItem.CriticalTripPoint
    Wscript.Echo "CurrentTemperature: " & objItem.ThermalStamp
    Next

found it on a site a while back, cannot remember which one though.

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Unfortunately the support for the ACPI stuff in motherboards is very slim.

The idea of reading from SpeedFan logs is a good one though.

Friday, June 29, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Don't use the logs; they're not real time. SpeedFan also supports "shared memory" (also known as a memory-mapped file) so you can get the data directly in real time.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:21 AM