Microsoft Money 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• My old desktop has Microsoft Money 2005.  I have just acquired a new desktop with Windows 8.  How can I transfer my old records over to the new desktop?
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:15 PM

All replies

• You will need to install Money on your Windows 8 machine.  Look at the second "Sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download the version of Money that is appropriate for your location and install it.  Be sure to keep a copy of the download because the servers may disappear without notice.

Once Money is installed, copy your Money.mny file or a backup (.mbf file) from your old computer and open it.  All should be well.  If not, post back with the details of any difficulties.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:39 PM
  • I also had MSM 2005 on my Vista desktop pc and I needed to move my original data file to a new Windows 8.1 desktop. I just did the following a few days ago and all is well.

1. I created a MSM file backup to a USB Drive on the Vista PC.
    2. I downloaded MSM Sunset onto my XP laptop.
    3. Then I transferred my MSM backup file to the laptop from that USB using the "restore" function. (I have a large file so it took quite some time for the system to convert from 2005 format to Sunset format - but it worked fine).
    4. I was then able to disconnect my old PC, set up the new one and download MSM Sunset on it.
    5. I have now successfully moved my data file from the laptop to my new desktop MSM Sunset with the USB and restore commands.

Note: With hindsight I could have moved the file directly to the new PC with the USB and skipped steps 2 & 3 but I was not certain that it would work, and didn't want to disconnect my old PC until I was sure. I hope this helps 

Saturday, November 9, 2013 12:06 AM