Cannot connect to registration system RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully installed Windows Live OneCare on my Laptop.  After installing it, it gives me a constant "at risk" message.  I have not been able to finish setting up OneCare.  When I click on the Finish Setup button at the top of the screen I click to activate it with my current account.  I cannot create another window live ID because I went into my account and activated my product key thinking that registering online would take care of the issue.  When OneCare trys to connect to my account it displays a window that states; "Unable to verify OneCare Account status.  OneCare activation cannot continue because of an issue with the registration system.  Please try again later."  I've recieved this message now for about a month.  I've looked at the windows live help online that the window suggests viewing.  The closest thing that I could find in the help is the page I've copied below.  I've tried everything on this page other than creating a new ID (seeing that I've already associated my current ID with my product key), editing my payment method because I have not set up a payment method, and resetting my Winsock networking because I don't want to mess up my computer.  When I went to register the .DLL's listed they all registered except initpki.dll.  I first went and tried to find my initpki.dll file but I could not find one on my system.  So, I copied the .dll file from my mother's computer and put it into c:/windows/system32 which is were my other .dll files are (but, you already know that) and where command prompt registered the other .dll's.  But, even after adding it to the file location I still get the same error message:  "The module 'initpki.dll' failed to load.  Make sure binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the the binary or dependent .DLL files.  the specified procedure could not be found.  ."  When looking at my Windows Live OneCare Support Log the closest thing that I could find to a code to coincide with this issue is Checking for paid registration failed with code 0x8A120194.  I don't know what to do.  I need to activate OneCare so I'm not running the trial version that its in now.  Please, some one help me!

Many thanks,
    UN1

Error message when you try to sign in with your Windows Live ID

When you try to sign in with your Windows Live ID (The e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox, MSN, and Office Live; and anywhere else that you see the Windows Live ID logo.) to start your subscription, you may receive an error message that states that the sign-in was unsuccessful. This error message may contain any of the following error codes:

To troubleshoot the issue, try the following solutions in the order that they appear:

• Make sure that the date and time are set correctly on your computer.

Show me how
      1. In the notification area (The area on the taskbar to the right of the taskbar buttons. The notification area displays the time and can also contain shortcuts that provide quick access to programs.) , right-click the time or the date, and then click Adjust Date/Time.
      2. Set the correct time and date, and then click OK.
      3. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
    • Make sure that Windows Internet Explorer isn't in offline mode.

Show me how
      1. Start Internet Explorer.
      2. On the File menu, if Work Offline is checked, click Work Offline.
    • Delete the temporary Internet files and cookies in Windows Internet Explorer.

Show me how
      • For Microsoft Internet Explorer 6:

2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
        3. On the General tab, in the Temporary Internet files area, click Delete Cookies, and then click Delete Files.
        4. In the Delete Files and Delete Cookies dialog boxes, click OK to confirm the operation.
        5. Click OK.
        6. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
      • For Windows Internet Explorer 7:

3. On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Delete.
        4. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete files.
        5. In the Delete Files dialog box, click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the files.
        6. In the Cookies area, click Delete cookies.
        7. In the Delete Cookies dialog box, click Yes to confirm that you want to delete cookies.
        8. Click Close.
        9. Click OK.
        10. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
    • Verify the security settings in Windows Internet Explorer.

Show me how
      • For Microsoft Internet Explorer 6:

3. On the Advanced tab, under Security, make sure that the Check for server certificate revocation (requires restart) check box is cleared. Make sure that the Use SSL 2.0 and the Use SSL 3.0 check boxes are selected.
        4. Click OK.
        5. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
      • For Windows Internet Explorer 7:

3. On the Advanced tab, under Security, make sure that the Check for server certificate revocation check box is cleared. Make sure that the Use SSL 2.0 and the Use SSL 3.0 check boxes are selected.
        4. Click OK.
        5. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
    • Register DLL files.

Show me how
      1. In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
        • regsvr32 softpub.dll
        • regsvr32 wintrust.dll
        • regsvr32 initpki.dll
        • regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
    • Reset the Winsock networking component.

Show me how
      1. In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click Start, click in the Start Search box, and then type command prompt. Under Programs, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type NETSH WINSOCK RESET, and then press ENTER.
      3. Restart your computer, and then try to activate OneCare again.
    • Create a new Windows user account.

Show me how
      • In Windows XP:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
        2. Open User Accounts, and then click Create a new account.
        3. Type a name for the new account, and then click Next.
        4. Click Computer administrator, and then click Create Account.
        5. Log off Windows, and then log on again with the new user account.
      • In Windows Vista:

1. Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type control panel, and then press ENTER.
        2. Click Add or remove user accounts.

–or–

If you're in Classic View, double-click User Accounts, and then click Manage another account.

3. Click Create a new account.
        4. Enter a name for the new account, click Administrator, and then click Create Account.
        5. Log off Windows, and then log on again with the new user account.
        7. After you activate Windows Live OneCare, log off, and then log on again with your old user account.
    • Synchronize your Windows Live ID account information again.

Show me how
      1. Visit Microsoft Billing and Account Management.
      2. If you're prompted, sign in with your Windows Live ID (The e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox, MSN, and Office Live; and anywhere else that you see the Windows Live ID logo.) .
      3. Under Your Services, click Windows Live OneCare.
      4. Under Payment method, click My Payment Method.
      5. Click Go to payment method information.
      6. Click Edit payment method information.
      7. Without changing any information, click Save.
      8. Try to activate Windows Live OneCare again.
    Notes
    • If the User Account Control dialog box appears and prompts you for permission to continue while you're performing an action in Windows Vista, click Continue.
    • If the problem persists, make a note of any error messages that you receive, and then contact Customer Support. At the bottom of this Help page, click Contact support, and then click Get support.
    ,IS_Windows OneCare Live v2 , , 96884008_TCA , noitavitca , seussinoitavitcapot 80048869 80048265 80048884 80048830 80048862 80048051 , issue issues errors trying

Sunday, December 21, 2008 6:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello UN1, in searching for your error in regestering initpki.dll the most common issue seems to be Cryptographic Services being stopped. If Cryptographic Services is stopped on your computer try starting the service then re-register initpki.dll. You may still have to do a winsock reset ( this will not cause issues ). While you made a valliant effort to resolve this issue on your own, the best solution may come from One Care support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Thank you verry much for helping me.  However, my issue is not resolved.  I contacted Window Live OneCare support and tried what they told me to try.  However, those steps did not work either.  I am still waiting for them to respond to my email and advise me further.  I know that my product key works because I associated it to my ID and have intalled OneCare to my mother's new computer and have associated it with my ID successfully.  If you could help me any further I'd apriciate it.  Also, I'm not sure how to check my Cryptographic Sercives.  If you could help me with that as well I'd appriciate it.  Thank you very much.

This is what OneCare support told me to do:

I suggest we try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Reset Internet Explorer

==================

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, and click Internet Options.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.

4. Click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process has finished.

6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

7. Click "Apply", click "OK".

Is the issue resolved now? If it persists, let's proceed to the steps below:

Create a new user account

=====================

1. Click Start, click Run, type NUSRMGR.CPL in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click "Create a new account" in the Pick a task list box.

3. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click "Next".

4. Select "Computer administrator" as the desired account type, and then click "Create Account".

5. Restart your computer and log on as the new created user account.

What is the result this time? If the issue still occurs, please help me collect the following information for further research. Thank you for your time.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Today I recieved an email from OneCare Support and I followed the steps they provided.  However, the did not work as well.  I'm thinking that it's because I still haven't been able to register my initpki.dll file.  I'm still having the same issues with that.

OneCare support told me to:

I would like to confirm if the computer connects to the Internet using a proxy server or a router. If so, let's try bypassing the proxy server or the router to see if it is causing the activation issue.

If the issue still occurs, let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service on computer startup. Please perform the following steps:

Clean Boot

=========

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and click "Disable all" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we finish troubleshooting. Once the checked items have been noted, click "Disable all".

4. Click OK to restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Please check if OneCare can be activated now. If it persists, we will try other solutions to troubleshoot the issue. However, if the issue disappears, I will help you to narrow down the cause of the issue. Therefore, please let me know the result after disabling all startup items and third party services. After sending the result, please return to Normal Mode via the following steps:

Return from Clean Boot environment

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".

3. Click on the "Startup" Tab and return your computer to the configuration we noted in the previous step. Place a checkmark in the items that were previously checked which will return your computer to its initial configuration.

4. Click on the "Service" tab and repeat the steps above. Then, click "OK" and click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

If the issue still occurs, please help collect the OneCare Support Data for me. Please follow these steps

Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Hello UN1, to check Cryptographic Services open Start>Run and enter "services.msc" without the quotes in the Run box. Scroll down to Cryptographic Services and in the Status column it should say "Started". If it says "Stopped" double click Cryptographic Services and on the General tab select the Start button. While there make sure the startup type is set to Automatic. If the service was stopped you should now be able to register initpki.dll. This is a longshot but now that support has your support logs they should be able to provide a solution.
    Jim
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Thank you verry much Jim for trying to help me.  I checked my cryptographic services and it was running properly.  I even restarted my cryptographic services and I was still unable to register initpki.dll.  It is still giving me the binarry error message.  Thank you for helping me.  OneCare support did not tell me how to check my cryptographic services.  Have a wonderful New Year!
    Friday, December 26, 2008 11:35 PM