2011 Developer Toolkit Error on XAML Create - Value Cannot Be Null Parameter Name: Path RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the latest CRM 2011 Developer toolkit (from SDK v5.0.6) & I have created a XAML Workflow Library project using the supplied templates. I then right click the solution, click add new item & select XAML Workflow Activity. A box appears asking for the activity name and the entity name, then a Visual Studio error box appears with:

Value Cannot Be Null Parameter Name: Path

There is only an OK button & when I click this the "Add New Item" dialog box reappears. In the project I see that a XAML file has been created but it is essentially empty - it just has an <Activity> line and nothing else - hardly a useful template! The xaml file seems to be missing the references to the Microsoft.XRM DLLs - these need to be defined as imports to the XAML. 

Has anyone else managed to use the XAML project template?

I get the same error if I try adding a "Workflow Activity Class", though at least it does generate some code, though it doesn't add the CRM activity attributes.

I am using VS2010 SP1. I have tried this on 2 machines with the same result.

• Edited by Caratacus Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:27 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:59 AM

Answers

• Ah, sussed it. You have to create a CRM solution 1st with the CrmPackage project. If you just create a new solution of say "XAML Project", then the CrmPackage project is missing & thats what the error is about - it can't find the path to the RegisterFile.crmregister file.

I wish the documentation had made that clearer!

• Marked as answer by Caratacus Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:01 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:01 PM

All replies

• Ah, sussed it. You have to create a CRM solution 1st with the CrmPackage project. If you just create a new solution of say "XAML Project", then the CrmPackage project is missing & thats what the error is about - it can't find the path to the RegisterFile.crmregister file.

I wish the documentation had made that clearer!

• Marked as answer by Caratacus Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:01 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Can you explain this a little more? I'm running into the same error, but am not familiar with CrmPackage?

Thanks,
    Dave

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:57 PM
  •  Check the following Image 

Just create New Visual Studio Solution Template For Dynamic Crm 2011

It will add three projects to your solution  CrmPakage, Plugins, Workflows.

Under workflows you can add your Xaml Workflow . You will not get that error.

Thanks Regards Prashanth Kamasamudram Even the least work done for others awakens the power within; even thinking the least good of others gradually instills into the heart the strength of a lion.

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:33 AM