Printer sharing stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hub PC running vista ultimate and a kids pc running the same.  I have been using the same printer connected to the hub for years with OC running.  After initial pain its worked fine. 

I had to rewire the office and as a result  had to connect the printer from the kids pc.  It showed up in the network and worked fine initially with it sharing to the hub pc and even to my work pc which is not in the OC circle,  then it stopped completely. 

I can still print from the kids pc but it will not show up when i try and add a printer from the hub.  I saw the printer ending in OC so i know OC was managing it initially.  Any ideas on why OC sees the printer but i cannot print at all?

If OC is not working how do you override it?
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:45 PM

Answers

• If the Vista Ultimate PC is runnign 64 bit Vista and the kid's PC is running 32 bit XP or Vista, OneCare can't share the printer. You will need to share it manually using File and Printer sharing native to Windows.
    It is possible that the firewall is blocking file and printer sharing. At the end of this post are instructions for allowing it to pass.
    If both PCs are 32 bit, on the hub (where the printer is not attached) open OneCare and click Change settings, then the Printer Sharing tab. Click to clear the list of printers and then click to refresh the list of printers.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• If the Vista Ultimate PC is runnign 64 bit Vista and the kid's PC is running 32 bit XP or Vista, OneCare can't share the printer. You will need to share it manually using File and Printer sharing native to Windows.
    It is possible that the firewall is blocking file and printer sharing. At the end of this post are instructions for allowing it to pass.
    If both PCs are 32 bit, on the hub (where the printer is not attached) open OneCare and click Change settings, then the Printer Sharing tab. Click to clear the list of printers and then click to refresh the list of printers.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:29 PM
  • thanks, the only item i was able to change was this one

and that then 'lit up' the OC on my network and i could see both the OC and non OC printer and relink them.  I hope that holds longer than the first time....
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:09 AM
  •  Glad that it was able to resolve it. Apparently, with the Mixed mode network - wireless and wired, OneCare decided that the PCs were on different subnets and blocked the sharing.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:55 PM