Cannot Open Console from Multiple Computers RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to open the console to check on my backups from a couple of my computers, one of which runs Vista Home Premium, and the other one XP Pro SP3. I have been trying to do this weekly to make sure I don't re-encounter the 81% cannot open backup error, although I think it has been more than a week since I have connected with the console. The error message says that it can't connect, check to see if the server is powered on, and wait a few minutes if the Server has recently be restarted.

When I try and log on using Remote Desktop Connection, it says it can't connect (it doesn't even get to the point of asking for the password). When I choose "<browse for more>" where the name of the computer goes, it says the workgroup doesn't contain any Terminal servers. I used to be able to use Remote Desktop Connection, but I haven't tried in a very long time, since the console is usually sufficient.

I have restarted the server, re-installed the connector software, but still cannot connect, although I can access files in my shared folders, and the connector icon is green, showing that it is connected. I finally connected a keyboard, monitor, and mouse to my server to see what was going on. I can start the console there, and I see that the backups have been taking place with no errors. Of course, I can't open the backed up files from the Server.

Looking at the event viewer under security, it seems that it successfully logs on, and there are no errors under any of the other categories in the log viewer (except for a couple of errors that occurred when I restarted the server with the Search Service under Applications, but those did not come back the last time I restarted the server). I am at a loss as to how to figure out what is going on.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• You wouldn't happen to be using OpenDNS would you??  I tried using the OpenDNS servers the other day on my router and I got the same thing from my Vista x64 Ultimate computer.  I reverted back to my ISP's DNS server addresses and things started working again.

Ed
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:14 AM

All replies

• I am unable to open the console to check on my backups from a couple of my computers, one of which runs Vista Home Premium, and the other one XP Pro SP3. I have been trying to do this weekly to make sure I don't re-encounter the 81% cannot open backup error, although I think it has been more than a week since I have connected with the console. The error message says that it can't connect, check to see if the server is powered on, and wait a few minutes if the Server has recently be restarted.

When I try and log on using Remote Desktop Connection, it says it can't connect (it doesn't even get to the point of asking for the password). When I choose "<browse for more>" where the name of the computer goes, it says the workgroup doesn't contain any Terminal servers. I used to be able to use Remote Desktop Connection, but I haven't tried in a very long time, since the console is usually sufficient.

I have restarted the server, re-installed the connector software, but still cannot connect, although I can access files in my shared folders, and the connector icon is green, showing that it is connected. I finally connected a keyboard, monitor, and mouse to my server to see what was going on. I can start the console there, and I see that the backups have been taking place with no errors. Of course, I can't open the backed up files from the Server.

Looking at the event viewer under security, it seems that it successfully logs on, and there are no errors under any of the other categories in the log viewer (except for a couple of errors that occurred when I restarted the server with the Search Service under Applications, but those did not come back the last time I restarted the server). I am at a loss as to how to figure out what is going on.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Are you able to ping your server both by name and by IP address?  Can you run ipconfig /all on your server, one client that does work, and one client that doesn't work, then post the results here?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:36 PM
  • You wouldn't happen to be using OpenDNS would you??  I tried using the OpenDNS servers the other day on my router and I got the same thing from my Vista x64 Ultimate computer.  I reverted back to my ISP's DNS server addresses and things started working again.

Ed
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:14 AM

Ed
    I'm sorry that I never replied to the original suggestion of pinging by name and IP address. After posting the initial message, I found that I was able to open the console from one computer (but not three others). I have been very busy lately, and had decided to let the problem rest. Then I saw the replies regarding OpenDNS received before this thread was split. (I think the reprimand for not starting his own thread was unwarranted, since it related to the original post. I didn't feel like the thread was hijacked, and it has helped me.)

Yes, I am using OpenDNS, and when I get home from our vacation, I will test whether changing it to the ISP's DNS servers will resolve the issue.

Thank you.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Yes, it was OpenDNS. I Came back to say I had found the problem and you had already nailed it :) Odd; it worked fine for over a year...

I was able to fix the issue using the internal DNS server in my router and keep OpenDNS enabled, but that did NOT used to be necessary...
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:27 PM