Cd-key Used many times???? lol RRS feed

• Question

• man i just formated my pc today, so i want to download the updates and validate the windows, but when i to do that, it said mine cd-key was used many times. How is that so??? i buy the original program and now i cant validate cus i used all the times i formated??

i dunno what to do please give me a hand

txs
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:53 AM

Answers

•  digoons wrote:
    man i just formated my pc today, so i want to download the updates and validate the windows, but when i to do that, it said mine cd-key was used many times. How is that so??? i buy the original program and now i cant validate cus i used all the times i formated??

txs

You can do telephone activation.

Monday, November 13, 2006 5:54 AM

All replies

• Digoons,

Once you activate a given Product Key so many times, the automated online activation system is programmed to "reject" the attempt.

Just go ahead and do a telephonic activation, selecting the prompt to speak with a live activation rep, who will ask a few questions, the purpose of which is to make sure you are using your copy of Windows in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:17 AM
  • I keep getting notified by my Windows Taskbar "You maybe a victim of Software Counterfeiting" but I HAVE my original Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD I purchased last year and I go to the website to validate it...then it works fine.  THEN (6) months later it asks me to "Validate" again.  What is the problem?

My computer is a custom install and I have the ORIGINAL CD.  HOW do I fix this problem so I can avoid any potential interferrences?

What is the DIRECT Microsoft website (link) I can go to to correct this information?
    OR....do you have a direct phone number so I can CALL them to put this info in their files so I don't get this "Software Counterfeiting" message.

Thanks!
    Bill H :)

Sunday, November 12, 2006 6:26 PM
  • Bill,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:18 PM
  • Bill please run the diagnostics tool.
  •  digoons wrote:
    man i just formated my pc today, so i want to download the updates and validate the windows, but when i to do that, it said mine cd-key was used many times. How is that so??? i buy the original program and now i cant validate cus i used all the times i formated??

txs

You can do telephone activation.

• i have two legal cd keys for windows xp, one is on my laptop, and the other was not in use. my brother needed a copy on his new computer he was building. so we were putting xp on his computer and we validated the cd key. long about an hour later, my laptop shutdown. the only thing i can think of is that we used the wrong cd key on his new computer. i have irreplacable information on my hard drive and when i try to start it up after the windows load screen it shuts down. so a reformat is out of the question. any help on fixes?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:44 PM