How to "undelete" a backup of a computer that has been removed from backup console in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    I really hope you guys know some good stuff.

I have rebuild a computer, and kept the WHS backup of the machine, until I was sure that the new installation had everything transfered. Unfortunatly there was some important data which I forgot to transfer before I deleted the old computer from the WHS backup console.

I have checked with a normal undelete tool on the WHS and found some folders with reference to the old computer name in the folder:

"D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}"

There are some files that have reference to my deleted computer. Seems the files containing the backup data is named "Data.4096.83.dat" [example]. Those I find with undelete tool on the server, has same naming but not same numbers. They also have .old instead of .dat.

My plan is to recover all the "Data.4096.83.old" files and those with reference to the old computer.

I hope this does not make any corruption.

Does some of you have any input or experince or knowledge on this problem?

Bjarne

Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Bjarne,
    there is no supported or known successfull method to restore the backups of a deleted computer besides having a backup of the backup database available.
    Is the backup still accessible, if you try to run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server one of the client PCs?
    If so, you should attempt the restore before the automated backup database cleanup which happens each Sunday during the backup window.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:48 PM