File copy/ move transfer times on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• PC is dual core 2.4G intel
    1GB Ram
    2 x 1TB samsung F1 sata HDDs
    A S Rock mobo

Problem: Just set up WHS and installed PP3 and all updates then copied all of my files off various PCs to my share. I then decided to sort out files and transfer 10Gig of music from my share to the public music share. The transfer rate is reported as being 768K and approx 4 hours to move (or copy). If I attempt to transfer the same music from another pc via a wireless 54g link I get a transfer rate of 1.9MB/s in approx 1 hour. I can't understand this. I see similar things on forums but nothing quite the same as this. I understand there are various diagnostic utilities but do I use them on the WHS machine or from a remote PC. What shoul I be looking for? Cheers. Nige....
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:11 PM

Answers

• If you are moving files around by connecting to your server's shares from a client computer and dragging/dropping files from one share to another, the data is making a complete round trip from your server to your client computer and back. Even if two shares are on the same drive on the server (and all shares are on the server's D: drive in this case) the client computer can't tell if that's the case or not, so it has to transfer the data from the server to the client, and then back to the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:55 PM

All replies

• Wireless connections are not really that great - you should see a little more out of it but it's close enough that I wouldn't say there is a problem bearing mind that you've just setup your system and it's still probabaly balancing the storage.

--
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Hi Al thanks for the response but  I am not complaining about the wireless link - far from it as this is quicker than transfering the file from one folder to another on the same machine. 4 hours to copy a 10Gig file seems excessive to me - if this were over the wirless link then ok - but on the same machine (possibly hdd to hdd) seems as though I have a setting wrong somewhere - as a newb to WHS I dont want to mess things up - and unsure about tools for WHS. By the way WHS reports that the system is balanced. So I need to do a bit more research about using HDD utils to check why the transfer is so slow. I've been looking at other posts and it may be due to bios settings/PIO but as I said I'm unsure if I change these settings will WHS still be able to cope with these changes etc. (by the way the wireless is only a temp measure as we have just moved home and haven't cabled up yet other than WHS machine to the router). Cheers- Nige...
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:22 PM
  • If you are moving files around by connecting to your server's shares from a client computer and dragging/dropping files from one share to another, the data is making a complete round trip from your server to your client computer and back. Even if two shares are on the same drive on the server (and all shares are on the server's D: drive in this case) the client computer can't tell if that's the case or not, so it has to transfer the data from the server to the client, and then back to the server.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:55 PM
  • If you want to move files around with more bandwidth - then use \\localhost when logged onto the Windows Home Server

--
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:52 PM
  • If you want to move files around with more bandwidth - then use \\localhost when logged onto the Windows Home Server
    I'll note that logging in to your server's desktop is unsupported. That said, this will work, as it bypasses the NIC.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. Ken - That seems a good logical explination of the file going via my client pc but I left the copy running and switched off the client and it finished the copy by the morning. I am going to log directly on the WHS machine and perform the same task. i'll post my outcome later (hopefully within 4 hours!!).

Thanks again Ken and Al for the input......Nige 
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:22 PM