PowerEdge 830 troubles and a question RRS feed

• Question

• When I installed WHS on a Dell PowerEdge 830, I had an odd problem: The drives were reversed during install...

I have two drives on the built-in SATA controller, an 80 Gig on SATA CH 0, a 320 Gig on SATA CH 1. Install said that the 320 Gig drive was drive 0, and the 80 Gig drive was drive 1 (opposite of how they are wired). I thought it odd, but persisted. After the initial install (first reboot), the system booted off the DVD again, because there was no bootable image on SATA Drive 0. I went into the BIOS and set SATA CH 1 to be the bootable HD and the install continued, but that was a very odd problem.

Obviously, I want the 80 Gig as the OS drive, but upon reflection, it doesn't really matter - it is just unconventional, since the OS slices of 10 Gig for the OS, and all other storage goes to the file share pool...

Also, I wish the OS DVD included an appropriate driver for the on-board Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller - is the network adapter THAT obscure? To "complete" my install I need to either burn drivers onto a CD/DVD or throw in a more mainstream NIC and get the driver over the internet. This is last years model of a mainstream server, Win2003 should really include some form of driver that gets basic function out of an Intel controller...

Also, shouldn't the install announce the lack of a network connection at the end of the install? I had to poke around to see there was a problem after the install.

Question - can I install WHS using Dell PowerEdge Install CD?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:30 AM

All replies

• Maybe it automatically assigns the biggest drive as the system in the ctp release?   Not sure -
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:05 AM