none
Folder pair settings not saved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a problem whereby any new folder pairings I create are not saved when I relaunch the application.

I have 3 folder pairs setup, which I setup when first installing the application. Now, however, attempts to add new folder pairs or modify/delete existing folder pairs are shown to be ineffective after closing and relaunching SyncToy.

This is very frustrating. I am running SyncToy x64 on Vista 64 ultimate and would like to add/modify folder pairs without having to repeat steps to create folder pairs and ammend settings every time I want to run the application.

I have also tried running in administrator mode to see if changes made are saved but again to no avail.

Many thanks

Chris
    Friday, February 27, 2009 12:44 PM

Answers

• I'll try to repro it on a x64 box.  In the meantime you could try deleting the bin file that stores the folder pairs and re-setting them up from scratch (if that's not a big hassle).  Also, check the logs (file - view log) and see if there are any errors - I can't imagine there will be given the logging is mostly sync related but its worth a try. If that doesn't work, reinstalling SyncToy might be something to try too.

Has this ever worked properly for you or has it been a problem from the start?

-Jesse
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

This is strange.  I'm going to need some more info.

Are you using SyncToy v2?

From the help file:

• SyncToy uses the following folder to store data used to facilitate synchronization operations: On Windows Vista: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\, On Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\"
  • The SyncToyDirPairs.bin file is used to store data describing the folder pairs that have been created with the local instance of SyncToy.
  • Could anything be happening to this bin file that stores the folder pair info?

-Jesse

Monday, March 2, 2009 10:23 PM

• I am using SyncToy v2 (x64) on Vista Ultimate 64, having recently upgraded from SyncToy beta (where I had the same problem).

I have naigated to the bin file successfully but cant see anything wrong I have also checked permissions on that file to ensure writing was possible. Everything is allowed on the file (Full control) so it isnt a permissions issue.

Is there anything else I can try? I cant even delete folder pairs as next time I load SyncToy they are there again!

Bizarre...

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:44 PM
  • I'll try to repro it on a x64 box.  In the meantime you could try deleting the bin file that stores the folder pairs and re-setting them up from scratch (if that's not a big hassle).  Also, check the logs (file - view log) and see if there are any errors - I can't imagine there will be given the logging is mostly sync related but its worth a try. If that doesn't work, reinstalling SyncToy might be something to try too.

Has this ever worked properly for you or has it been a problem from the start?

-Jesse
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Hi Jesse, 

I deleted the bin and started from scratch, seems to work fine now. Maybe it was corrupted or something....

Thanks
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Jesse, thanks for the tip - started having the same problem as Chris today. Synctoy has been working fine up until now.  Deleted the bin file and synctoy is working fine now.

Regards,

Paul

Saturday, September 8, 2012 6:21 PM