Message: File Corruption ...yet files still readable etc ... RRS feed

• Question

• I know that there are many posts about the file corruption problem, have read through (some of) them. Me too, I have messages about file corruption on a regular interval.

At first I got the messages every time after the system woke up from a suspend by LightsOut, together with messages about processor/disk io / fan speed errors. Like, processor load more then 95% for mmore then 3 minutes.... while the system just woke up 30 seconds ago..... So, I set LightOut to do nothing (no suspend on clients being idle for ten minutes or so). I thought I had solved it, but now the file conflict errors returned.

System is up to date, no media server or other funny things installed, no messing about with files/disk on Remote Acces.

Funny thing: files ARE still accessible, CHKDSK per the FAQ about this issue do not show anny errors, and WHScleanup showed all files on the server to be ok. After a delete of the events, and a restart, all lights are blue, and system reports all is well.

Recently I had a message about an unhealthy drive (I have 4 drives in an ACER H340), but a chkdisk showed not a single sector bad, I removed the drive, added it again as a backup drive, performed chkdsk.... no problem whatsoerver. I have added the drive to the storage pool..... no problems.

I have the server for about two months or so, and I already have had more -real or imagined- problems with it in these two months then with all workstations, servers etc. that I have had / worked with in the past 15 years. I bought this server to have a reliable means of storing/backing up all my data, but I am beginning to wonder if I made a wrong choice. Perhaps I should have purchased a real server, with MS Server 2003/2008? Is it possible to dump WHS and run Server 2008 on the H340 hardware?

I am making regular backup of the data to an external disk, so data loss is not really what I am afraid of.... it is just that every time I turn to the server I expect to see a dreaded red LED again...

Am I over-concerned?

Thymen

Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• I know that there are many posts about the file corruption problem, have read through (some of) them. Me too, I have messages about file corruption on a regular interval.

At first I got the messages every time after the system woke up from a suspend by LightsOut, together with messages about processor/disk io / fan speed errors. Like, processor load more then 95% for mmore then 3 minutes.... while the system just woke up 30 seconds ago..... So, I set LightOut to do nothing (no suspend on clients being idle for ten minutes or so). I thought I had solved it, but now the file conflict errors returned.

System is up to date, no media server or other funny things installed, no messing about with files/disk on Remote Acces.

Funny thing: files ARE still accessible, CHKDSK per the FAQ about this issue do not show anny errors, and WHScleanup showed all files on the server to be ok. After a delete of the events, and a restart, all lights are blue, and system reports all is well.

Recently I had a message about an unhealthy drive (I have 4 drives in an ACER H340), but a chkdisk showed not a single sector bad, I removed the drive, added it again as a backup drive, performed chkdsk.... no problem whatsoerver. I have added the drive to the storage pool..... no problems.

I have the server for about two months or so, and I already have had more -real or imagined- problems with it in these two months then with all workstations, servers etc. that I have had / worked with in the past 15 years. I bought this server to have a reliable means of storing/backing up all my data, but I am beginning to wonder if I made a wrong choice. Perhaps I should have purchased a real server, with MS Server 2003/2008? Is it possible to dump WHS and run Server 2008 on the H340 hardware?

No.

I am making regular backup of the data to an external disk, so data loss is not really what I am afraid of.... it is just that every time I turn to the server I expect to see a dreaded red LED again...

Am I over-concerned?

Thymen

It sounds to me like you have some sort of hardware issue (either that or LightsOut is causing a conflict, but since you set it to do nothing, I would assume it's not the cause).  I would suggest you contact Acer for support.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:21 PM