none
Server Running Hot RRS feed

• Question

• I on occasion get the dreaded warning that my server is running to hot.  However is makes a short appearance an then goes away. My server is all green again.  I have an HP 485 but I don't see the temp monitor anymore on this unit.

Is this normal or serious to see an occasional misfire? 
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:16 AM

Answers

• @FireTech: No, he can't. As he said, he has an HP EX-485, so no video port, no keyboard, no mouse. And the BIOS temperature is often pretty far from what you see in normal operation, so it's not terribly useful as a diagnostic tool.

@JSHollis: no, it's not normal. You can install third party software (an add-in) to monitor some additional information. The Disk Management add-in will monitor disk temperatures if SMART is available on your disks. Off the top of my head I don't know of an add-in that will monitor motherboard and processor temperatures. But before you do that, examine your server carefully for dust build-up and blockages near the exhaust fans, make sure it's in a reasonably well-ventilated area, that the immediate surroundings don't exceed manufacturer's recommendations, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:50 PM

All replies

• Can you reboot into BIOS and look at the temperatures displayed there?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:56 AM
  • @FireTech: No, he can't. As he said, he has an HP EX-485, so no video port, no keyboard, no mouse. And the BIOS temperature is often pretty far from what you see in normal operation, so it's not terribly useful as a diagnostic tool.

@JSHollis: no, it's not normal. You can install third party software (an add-in) to monitor some additional information. The Disk Management add-in will monitor disk temperatures if SMART is available on your disks. Off the top of my head I don't know of an add-in that will monitor motherboard and processor temperatures. But before you do that, examine your server carefully for dust build-up and blockages near the exhaust fans, make sure it's in a reasonably well-ventilated area, that the immediate surroundings don't exceed manufacturer's recommendations, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:50 PM