Reimaging system drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system with 3 drives.  The system drive, A, has two partitions, SYS and DATA, and is 250 GB.  The second drive, B, has one partition, DATA, and is also 250 GB.  The third drive is 1 TB and has one partition, DATA.  The system drive is failing.  I pulled the drive and made an image of both partitions and there were no errors.  I'm hoping that I just got lucky and the problem is not with the MOBO.  Anyway, I have a 1.5 TB drive coming.  I would like to do one of two things.

The first option is to move the partition from drive B to the new drive and resize it.  Then move the two partitions from A to B, making it the system disk.  Would the OS recognize and handle the changes in the drive GUIDs?  If that won't work, would reinstalling the OS at that point handle the changes?

The second option would be to install the partitions from A on the new drive.  I would want to resize the DATA partition to take advantage of the new disk.  Or is there a better way?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:01 PM

All replies

• Your only supported option is server reinstallation; "ghosting" a drive is not a supported way to migrate from one drive to another. That said, there's a walkthrough on (I think) mediasmartserver.net that goes through the exact steps required to do this successfully. Be warned, however, that there are several opportunities for causing more severe issues than you have today. :) And there's also the opssibility that you have corrupted data on your failing drive now, in which case reimaging will probably only preserve the corruption.

My recommendation is to simply bite the bullet and go through the reinstallation process. It's documented in the FAQ section, in the FAQ that talks about upgrading from the eval software to a full licensed version.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I see that I will have to modify my approach on this but I think it's doable.  The information on mediasmartserver.net helped.

As for the drive, I'm scanning the partitions for errors now.  So far, I've found only one file that would not copy.  But I'm less than 20 percent done so ...

I'm going to ghost the A drive to the B drive and drop the B drive's current partition and then do a reinstall.  I will lose what was on the B drive but I'm pretty sure I can reload the data that was on it.  I will add the new drive after the reinstall.  Maybe it will work...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 4:33 PM