Mesh client keeps rearranging my desktop icons on Windows XP (w/ SP2) RRS feed

• Question

• When I add a new folder to my Mesh, the screen will blink and all my desktop icons are rearranged, starting at the top left of the screen.
    • Changed type Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:52 PM Edit as Answered
    Friday, April 25, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• Several people have reported this issue, and it's definitely high on our list of bugs to fix asap.  Feel free to submit a bug as Ben describes above anyway.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

As Richard mentioned early in this thread, this fix was high on our priority list.  I'm happy to report that we will be rolling out a new version in the coming week that will include this fix!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you provide a little more information?  Do the icons rearrange every time, or only after you've adjusted them again manually?

Also, in order for us to investigate this further, we would appreciate it if you could submit a bug report on Microsoft Connect at http://connect.microsoft.com. Click Feedback and then Submit a bug. File out the form with as much details as possible. Once your form is completed, click Submit. Then you will be able to edit your bug to attach your logs (instructions below):

You can get your logs by:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Thank you for testing Live Mesh Tech Preview.

Ben.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Yes I can also confirm it. I am also using XP SP3 RTM. It rearranges all the desktop icons whenever a new folder added to mesh.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Several people have reported this issue, and it's definitely high on our list of bugs to fix asap.  Feel free to submit a bug as Ben describes above anyway.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Richard Chung [MSFT]
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Post your bug url here, and I will vote and verify.
    Walter B
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:58 PM
  • I can also verify that it re-arranges the desktop icons.  However it's not just when you create a new mesh folder.  It's also when the mesh client starts.  During startup the mesh folder appears to be a standard folder, with the standard icon.  When the mesh client loads it recognizes the mesh folder(s) on the desktop and changes their icon, it is at this time that all the icons are re-arranges, if you had manually arranged them after mesh did this last time.  It always starts in the top left of the screen with the Recycle Bin, but I don't really see a clear order to them as they are not sorted in alphabetical order or by type.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Yes, indeed it does.  Very annoying.  So much so that I will uninstall it from the XP box.
    Walter B
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:46 PM
  • It is the number problem issue I have with Live Mesh on XP. 

It is like when screen resolution is changed and then changed back. Desktop icons move from manually placed locations/arrangement to upper right grid pattern.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Yes!  Three more votes here ... I am seeing non-stop icon refreshing on my desktop ALL of the time.  When I come back to my machine when the screen saver has been on.  When I boot ... lots of different times.

And the three votes are that it's doing it to my wife's laptop also, and also my test desktop machine ...

REALLY annoying ...
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Ditto! There are times I also see the screen flash when there should be no such flash, resize, etc such as when opening a program. This has been harder to isolate and repeat.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Here is another time ... when I Hibernate my laptop.  When I power it back up and the screen comes on, the icons and desktop refresh 6-8 times!  It's like waves of refresh going across my screen for about 15-20 seconds ...
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Good to hear, my 2 Vista PCs work fine but the XP at work the icons are rearranged each time. 
    Monday, May 12, 2008 9:40 PM
  • I can confirm this problem on my XP SP2 machine as well. For me, the icons get rearranged when a new mesh folder is created, a folder is turned into a mesh folder, or the mesh client starts up.
    http://www.theamoebaproject.com/blog/2
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I am having the same problem as the title describes. The problem occurs both on my work computer and home machine which are both XP SP2. I went to submit feedback, but found the bug was already submitted until ID 340011. According to the status this problem has been resolved, but has the resolution/fix been rolled out to the latest version of Mesh via the auto "Update Live Mesh" link?
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:08 AM
  • I upgraded both my desktop and laptop to SP3 two days ago.  Since then, I am also seeing this problem, but only on my laptop.  I did not experience the problem until the upgrade.

\\bruce
    • Edited by baumzuchter Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:01 PM add last sentence
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I am having the same problem as well on my workstation pc that is on WinXP SP2. It happens when the client starts up. Hopefully there is a fix for this out soon. Other than this little annoyance the product is great and I am anxious to see what this develops into.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

As Richard mentioned early in this thread, this fix was high on our priority list.  I'm happy to report that we will be rolling out a new version in the coming week that will include this fix!

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:06 PM
  • This problem has only started for me on my XP Pro SP3 system as of May 16th.  It did not coincide with the installation of SP3, which was done more than a week prior to this issue arising. 

All the icons on my XP system's desktop are rearranged, including the recycle bin, on sign-in to Live Mesh at start-up.  This is extremely annoying to say the least... enough that it would cause me to uninstall Live Mesh if not fixed. 
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:51 PM