Can I recover a "remembered" password RRS feed

• Question

• Wife used Microsoft Money with a password and had the "remember password" button checked. Since, Money was remembering it, she did not.

Computer crashed and now we can't access the money file. I can get the data off the old hard drive. Is the remembered password stored somewhere where I can read it or is there was way to execute money off that hard drive so that it will load the remembered password?

This is with the last version of MS Money (17.0.125.1415). We've tried it with this version and with the sunset version. Any help or other suggestions is much appreciated.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:27 PM

All replies

• Don't attempt to change your password/Live ID. That will only complicate things.

For a Live ID/Passport, (credentials consist of both an email address plus a password), I don't know of any shortcut other than remembering. For a straight Password, I have seen ads in the past for "password recovery" programs. If you are talking of a Live ID, keep trying to remember. Keep a pad of paper handy. Then try permutations of the things you remember. Sometimes people remember things at odd moments. Also, look at places you keep notes on such things to see if she wrote the credentials down.

When trying Live IDs, disconnect from the internet and try to log in offline. You coud do this and re-try values that you already tried.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:23 PM
  • It's not a live ID, it is just a password. I do not think there is any hope of remembering it.

But money itself remembers it. It must store it or an encrypted version of it somewhere. If I could get that I could at least access the data and export it. So, does anyone know where / how MS Money keeps the password when you click on "remember password"?

Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:05 PM
  • You could try "password recovery" "microsoft money" as a search term. I have no experience with that. So this is not actually a recommendation.  Some offered to supply the first two or three characters free.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I'm not looking for any password cracking services or software, I'm already pursuing that path as well.

I am looking for information about where / how the msmoney.exe program stores the password when you check the "remember password" button. It must store it somewhere so it can fill it in for you the next time you run the program. Does anyone know where that is?

It is NOT a live ID, it is just a password.

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:22 PM
  • You were clear in stating what you wanted. I have nothing for your actual question. You are not the first to ask that question. You would be the first to get the answer you want.  I was trying to point out an alternative that could give a useful result that would have the effect you are looking for.

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:39 PM