HP EX470 - no lights --need to get server into recovery mode RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to get an EX470 into recovery mode.

However, this server was set to minimum lights before I started, and thus I cannot see the blinking light patterns required to know when to press the recessed button.

Can anybody give me some rough timings in seconds for when I should hit the button?

I've succeeded several times, but various issues have resulted in failure to complete the process, and I've needed to restart.

The original plan was to update to the 3.0 version of HP's software.  I have succeeded in recovering the server to the earlier version, and thought OK--now I'm ready to go to 3.0--but although that appeared to go perfectly, including install of the connector, the server never appeared on the network as hpserver (or minint* ) after the connector installed. 

Although the recovery to the earlier software level completed properly, and the software light control was available, it did not change the actual lights on the server, so I am still stuck with attempting to hit the right moment "in the dark"!

Bill Sanderson
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

• Perhaps turn out the room lights? Even at minimum, I believe the lights on the server are still on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Thoughts still welcome.  Shortly after posting this, I was able to get the server into recovery--the count seemed to be about 14--probably fewer actual seconds, though.

I'm doing a reset this time, using the 3.0 disk from HP.  crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, etc.

Foolishly, I'm doing this with a greatly simplified network, just an xp, a router and my own home WHS machine.  I'd forgotten that this XP has a 10 mbs network card in it, and the actual recovery process takes considerably longer than it did in the office with a gigabit network.

bill

Bill Sanderson
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hmm  I'm in a pretty dark room--the only light visible is the power light.

This is the setting where the power light is the only light unless there is an alert condition, in which case the other lights come on.

Bill Sanderson
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Can't anybody restart their EX server and give me a count for when the light blink in Acqua and Red?

You don't need to initiate recovery, I just need some idea how long it takes for the lights to get to that stage--and, ideally, how long they remain in that phase.

To reiterate--I get no lights whatsoever except the power on light.   The server appears to be operating normally, because I've managed to get it into recovery mode at least half a dozen times, and even completed recovery once, but not with the newer version software, which is the purpose of my attempts.

Thanks!

Bill Sanderson
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 12:56 PM