none
Autorun.inf missing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Not the best solution, but at least an answer!

Having experienced the problem firsthand, I have at least determined why the problem occurs:

It appears that in some Windows Update (I really don't know which it is) the AUTORUN.INF file becomes replaced with some other process/command/file. I am guessing that the same missing file may have been preventing me from installing the MS Fix-it program, as well as MS Office.

I discovered through trial and error that if I reinstalled the XP operating system, then installed MS Money prior to doing any updates, the program worked perfectly. I was then able to install the updates, and Microsoft Money was unaffected.  Sure enough, the other programs also installed succesfully prior to any Windows Update with no futher issues.

It does lead me to believe that this will lead to future problems with using XP and allowing Windows Update to automatically install critical and security updates.  Whether or not it is simply an unforeseen result on the part of Microsoft, or planned obsolescence of their "unsupported" XP OS in favor of newer products (Vista, Windows 7 & 8) I cannot say.

I only know that now I have encountered another problem involving my external Plug and Play IDE hard drive, which was operating perfectly prior to yet another Windows Update, but now is not recognized and wants to install the driver.  Problem is that this was a Plug and Play device which should have been automatically recognized immediately, it came with no drivers and there are none to be found. (yet)

I have, however, decided that I will no longer allow automatic updates to run on my computer. I will instead carefully install any critical and security updates one at a time, establishing both a restore point and a back-up prior to installing these.  I suggest that anyone running XP to do the same.

• Edited by roncaley Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• Here is the security update which intentionally prevents an autorun.inf from working UNLESS it is on a DVD or CD. It is intended to prevent worms from infecting the computer. Allowing an autorun.inf from working directly on a hard drive is a security hole.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/967940

This thread discusses how to extract the files from the Microsoft Money Plus Sunset installation file to avoid the overrun error: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/e0de648f-fbcf-482f-bc3f-819cefd08aa4

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Thank you, Cal!

This is there first thread that I have encountered that actually, clearly stated the reason for the failed reinstall.  I'm not saying they aren't out there, but it is very tedious and time consuming to look through all the possible questions/answers in all of the various threads/knowledge bases/communities to find exactly what you need.

Any thoughts on what caused my external hard drive to go missing and fail to work?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:25 PM