Packard Bell (NEC) computer, XP image lost. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, just the other week a virus completely anhialated my hard disk, wiping it pretty much clean and leaving a corrupted operating system (xp home) and a corrupted reinstallation image (on another partition, used to be accessible by pressing F10 at startup).

The problem is that now I have no windows, and the product Key (stuck to the side of the computer) will not work with a normal copy of XP home (simply wont validate).

Is there anything I can do because I have now lost the original reciept and packard bell are being no use whatsoever.

Thanks, Dave.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:30 PM

Answers

• Davegsm82,

If the "normal copy" of XP Home is a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD, you can use that CD plus the Product Key from the XP Home COA on the Packard Bell to do a clean installation of XP Home.

The trick is that you must choose to activate by telephone; if the automated phone activation system rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Explain that your PB recovery partition was desroyed by the virus and that you are using a systembuilder/OEM CD to do a clean installation.  The rep will ask you some questions to determine if you are using the XP Home license in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement, and if so, will issue you the needed activation code to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Post back to tell us how you did!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:36 PM