unknown problems are preventing backup from continuing RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just installed the trial of onecare today and I wanted to test the backup functionality. I have an external hard drive which is connected to my PC. When I try to run backup to that drive I get this message after several minutes of the backup seemingly working: unknown problems are preventing backup from continuing. Anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, March 17, 2008 12:55 AM

All replies

• That's not a very useful message, is it?

How is the external drive connected? Is there any software installed by the manufacturer of that drive for backup or other purposes that may be conflicting?

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:52 PM
  • I installed onecare almost 2 weeks ago and was able to backup files from both the hub pc and onecare circle laptop added on. I used an external hardrive and everything went well without a hitch the first back up for both computers.  During one of the virus scans on the 2nd computer some changes occured while the external drive was disconnected from the hub.  The onecare program attempted to backup the files to the external drive which was disconnected and an error box popped up showing that "unknown problems are preventing backup from continuing at this time.  To correct this problem, try again later or restart your computer".  After reconnecting the external hardrive to the hub I followed the advice but was unable to get the 2nd computer on the onecare circle to perform the backup correctly for the files that had changed (received same error message as before).  Later I performed a complete scan for the hub pc and attempted to backup changes, I received the same error message as the 2nd computer on the onecare circle.  I followed the advice to try again later or restart computer (both failed to solve the issue).  Any advice on what to do?  There is no software installed by the manufacturer of the drive for backup or other purposes that may be conflicting as onecare had already performed a complete backup for both devices onto the drive during the first attempt.  No changes in programs have occurred except for windows, java, and hp printer software updates but these also had occured prior to the first back up of both computers so it should not be conflicting now.
    -Armando 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:37 PM
  • You can try resetting the backup plan and permissions for the backup location.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Repeat the above on the second PC.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Proceed with setting up Centralized backup on the Hub PC and then repeat on the second PC.

If the above doesn't work, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:14 PM