Can't Restore. receive "An unknown network error has occurred during PC restore" RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to restore an entire drive on an XP client.  the client is able to find the WHS and i pick the volume and backup to restore.  retore starts but after about 15 minutes i get the message:  "An unknown network error has occurred during PC restore"   Tried again but this time just connecting the WHS and client thru a local hub that was not connected to my DSL router or internet.  same thing happened...the client could find the WHS and i could pick the volume and backup to restore, retore started but after about 10-15 min get same error message.  haven't had any other problems on the network or while doing any backups.  since the client in question here "sees" the WHS and i am able to pick the backup to restore i assume the network connection between the two it good.

I did some searchs and found posts regarding this same problem back in 2007 but nothing recent nor any fixes.

WHS is running powerpack 3.  client to be restored had XP home SP3 on it.

thanks in advance for any help or pointers here.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:44 PM

All replies

• Check your router. If you're using DHCP on your network, your DHCP lease time may be very short (like 15 minutes to an hour). Try setting it to 24 hours.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:37 PM
  • already checked that.  I had set lease time for 48 hours and have the WHS on a static IP address.  I've seen posts here and elsewhere with the same issue....makes me think there must be something else at work here with an obvious fix
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Some things you can try:

1. Check power settings for your NIC in system BIOS
    2. Run chkdsk /r on on all client disks (if the system doesn't boot mount in another system, then try again
    3. If 2. fails run chkdsk /r on all disk in your server as described in this FAQ
    4. Try mounting the client disk in another system, then run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server
    5. Get a new disk for the client

All of the above best with direct connection of WHS and client (or local hub/switch only)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:57 PM