none
"Script busy" message with Firefox on Technet forums, when logged in RRS feed

• Question

• Is it just me?   Under this scenario:

• Viewing certain threads (generally longer ones), including this specific one as an example: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8f84fe8a-5481-422f-aeb2-5ff0555e1151/
    • With Firefox (8.0 and 9.01 both:  I just updated from 8.0, hoping the update would fix it, but it didn't)
    • And while logged in to Technet (the problem doesn't occur if I'm just surfing while not logged in, but does occur if I log in)

I get this dialog box, with "stop script" as one of my choices:

• A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.1/jquery.min.js:18
    • Moved by Mike Kinsman Friday, December 30, 2011 8:16 PM Forums issue (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• I see it occasionally in Internet Explorer 9 as well, but reloading the page seems to fix things.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, December 30, 2011 8:28 PM
    • Viewing certain threads (generally longer ones), including this specific one as an example:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8f84fe8a-5481-422f-aeb2-5ff0555e1151?outputAs=rss

That's only 77 messages long.  Wait 'til you find a really big one.   ; )

So, as you can see, one workaround is to convert a thread URL to its RSS feed.   That loads quickly and when using IE shows you how many messages it contains.   How does Firefox handle this workaround?   Another one supposedly is to logout and view a long thread's normal presentation anonymously.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 30, 2011 10:35 PM
  • And that's why you keep several browsers installed and at your disposal... ;-)

Nowadays, for the most part, they all (mostly) work fine on all (most) sites, with exceptions here or there.  I generally use IE for specific official work/corporate tasks, Firefox most of the time as my secondary, and I have Chrome (when I want to see banner ads related to sites I visited in the past thanks to Google-driven history sniffing.. ;-), Opera (who sadly got a little sneaky themselves in sort of hijacking "default browser" status during install), and Enigma, which is pretty much 100 percent IE compatible.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:35 PM
  • I've found that if you leave it alone long enough IE9 will actually finally display the page, no matter how many posts are in the thread.  It will chew up an incredible amount of computer time in doing so, however.  It seems that the script(s) must get pushed over some threshold to the point where they begin thrashing.

Please see also this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/d391d98f-ae3c-4b47-8775-5148a733b458

At one point the forum people suggested that maybe they'll switch to a paged view, where only up to 50 or so posts would be shown on one page, but I think that more effort should be put into fixing the root cause before taking a workaround like that.  Even with very long threads, having the whole shootin' match on one display so that you can scroll top to bottom seems very handy.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Another answer is that an improvement for longer threads loading times is currently planned for about 2/2/12.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:41 PM
    Owner
  • That's good news, Ed.  Thanks for the update.

I do hope it's a script fix to the root problem and not a workaround that puts a thread on multiple pages, but even the latter would be great compared to threads that just can't be accessed or continued because they have hundreds of responses.  I've tried continuing several long threads by creating new ones, but they just seem to lose momentum.

-Noel

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:22 PM
  • That's good news, Ed.  Thanks for the update.

I do hope it's a script fix to the root problem and not a workaround that puts a thread on multiple pages, but even the latter would be great compared to threads that just can't be accessed or continued because they have hundreds of responses.  I've tried continuing several long threads by creating new ones, but they just seem to lose momentum.

-Noel

Good question. I'm not sure. We can ask Brent. I assumed it was a script improvement.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 9:04 PM
    Owner