WHS Remote Access Error 80092004 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to activate Remote Access.  It initially says router is ready, then when I input the domain name I get "Cannot find object or property error 80092004."  This is a "Home" Server with stuff like that?  MS, please stop using pictures of senior citizens using this...you'll give them certain heart attacks!

Thank you for any help.

Why does Microsoft tout email/phone support on the web promotion page of the WHS, but when you click the button it leads only to an $80 phone call?  We pay to fix a very buggy product?

Unusual for Google is this error number brings up many pages but no listing for WHS.  Why do users have to build MS products, paying with not only high prices, but tremendous  time and frustration.
    30 year (CPM) computer novice.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us more about your server? New, or have you had it a while? Home built, or OEM? HP, Acer, or other in the latter case? What (if anything) have you installed on your server? Add-ins? Software installed other than add-ins? What configuration changes have you made in the Console? Have you made any configurations changes outside the console? Have you checked your server's event logs for anything related to the error you see? (Event logs are available by using the server add-in portion of the Windows Home Server toolkit.)

As for support, if you purchase an OEM unit you receive support from the manufacturer of that device. If you purchase and install system builder software, you become the system builder, and are your own support. So no, there is no free support from Microsoft.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  I believe you have replied to some of my earlier complaints.  As for the WHS support, what you describe is Microsoft practice, but it is not what they advertise and that is dishonest.

The server is a robust Dell Precision 220 server about 8 years old, nothing to brag about but I don't require speed with overnight backups.  Other than that the only alteration is to add a SATA board and 2 drives, in addition to the ATA C: drive.  One Add-in, a sort of backup configuration program which doesn't work very well.

It is a fresh install, about the 10th I've made, each ending in some kind of mess, mainly WHS not recognizing the backups or drives.

It has Cisco's NetMagic on it, which is the only reliable way of keeping the shared folders open to the LAN, another amazingly dumb aspect of WHS.

For whatever reason, maybe even NetMagic -- although it seems to be fairly neutral on system alterations -- directory listing on other compuater of the shared folders shopw several layers and variations, a second sahred listing within the first, and repeats of each of the shared folders with slight name variations.  EDven though the contents are identical, some can be accessed from the LAN and some not. 

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Thanks, Ken.  I believe you have replied to some of my earlier complaints.  As for the WHS support, what you describe is Microsoft practice, but it is not what they advertise and that is dishonest.

MS has never advertised any free support for WHS OEM/System Builder.  (It's not a retail "off the shelf" product, which is the type of product that has free support.)

The server is a robust Dell Precision 220 server about 8 years old, nothing to brag about but I don't require speed with overnight backups.  Other than that the only alteration is to add a SATA board and 2 drives, in addition to the ATA C: drive.  One Add-in, a sort of backup configuration program which doesn't work very well.

It is a fresh install, about the 10th I've made, each ending in some kind of mess, mainly WHS not recognizing the backups or drives.

It has Cisco's NetMagic on it, which is the only reliable way of keeping the shared folders open to the LAN, another amazingly dumb aspect of WHS.

For whatever reason, maybe even NetMagic -- although it seems to be fairly neutral on system alterations -- directory listing on other compuater of the shared folders shopw several layers and variations, a second sahred listing within the first, and repeats of each of the shared folders with slight name variations.  EDven though the contents are identical, some can be accessed from the LAN and some not. 

Frankly, if you've had to do that many installs, I would say your hardware isn't up to the task.  However, I'm not familiar with NetMagic.  Any chance that is part of your problem?  Why do you have to use it to keep "the shared folders open to the LAN"?  Can you uninstall/disable it?  (If nothing else, you could do another Reinstallation, but leave it completely alone for at least a week before you install anything.)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  Allow me to speak frankly, too. 

Check the MS web site for WHS...follow through to support  -- sorry don't have time today to locate the exact page for you -- and you will find a link to [paraphrasing] "phone and email support".  Have you ever encountered email tech support which is not free?  That link takes you to a $80 per incident support and NO email. 

The packaging is similar.  Considering this is heavily aimed and promoted for the average, TOTALLY NONTECHNICAL user, and as well considering the really poor PUBLIC track record of the software, this is the dismal, but typical, Microsoft relationship with its customers.  Rather than bicker with you about the advertising, I'll be happy to direct you to the facts and a scan of my WHS retail packaging.  There is also absolutely no indication on the packaging that it has a unique category.  By the way, I am a package designer, so my legal and technical expertise in what a box does is fairly high.

The Dell is a little slow but otherwise the program -- outside of its inherent problems -- runs fine.  On each WHS clean install -- which were done because WHS lost track of its backups -- I have attempted to set up the remote access from the outset before installing NetMagic or anything else.  I get error message 80092004, object not found.

Look up Cisco's program, it is widely used as compensation for Windows inability to consistently keep shared LAN folder's open...right down to Win 7.  Google "Homegroup" on the MS forums and you'll see the registry changes required to fix the tricks going on there. 

NetMagic opens one's choice of shared folders on a LAN and keeps them open, unlike Windows which revokes the share on a random, unpredictable basis.  I have experienced this mess for ten years.  NetMagic has a clean, bug-free interface and settles the router and other LAN issues that have plagued Windows through so many editions.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  Allow me to speak frankly, too. 

Check the MS web site for WHS...follow through to support  -- sorry don't have time today to locate the exact page for you -- and you will find a link to [paraphrasing] "phone and email support".  Have you ever encountered email tech support which is not free?

Yes.  Again, nowhere does it say "free".

That link takes you to a $80 per incident support and NO email.

The packaging is similar.

No, it's not.  OEM packaging looks nothing like retail packaging.  Not to mention, when you purchase it from newegg or similar, it specifically says "OEM".

Considering this is heavily aimed and promoted for the average, TOTALLY NONTECHNICAL user, and as well considering the really poor PUBLIC track record of the software, this is the dismal, but typical, Microsoft relationship with its customers.

The OEM product has never been targeted at the non-technical user.  Only the pre-built servers (i.e. HP, Acer, etc.) are.  Get your facts straight.

Rather than bicker with you about the advertising, I'll be happy to direct you to the facts and a scan of my WHS retail packaging.

Considering there is no "retail" packaging for OEM WHS, please provide a scan.  I'd love to see it.  Include the front cover of the Getting Started Guide as well.

There is also absolutely no indication on the packaging that it has a unique category.  By the way, I am a package designer, so my legal and technical expertise in what a box does is fairly high.

The Dell is a little slow but otherwise the program -- outside of its inherent problems -- runs fine.  On each WHS clean install -- which were done because WHS lost track of its backups -- I have attempted to set up the remote access from the outset before installing NetMagic or anything else.  I get error message 80092004, object not found.

Look up Cisco's program, it is widely used as compensation for Windows inability to consistently keep shared LAN folder's open...right down to Win 7.  Google "Homegroup" on the MS forums and you'll see the registry changes required to fix the tricks going on there. 

NetMagic opens one's choice of shared folders on a LAN and keeps them open, unlike Windows which revokes the share on a random, unpredictable basis.  I have experienced this mess for ten years.  NetMagic has a clean, bug-free interface and settles the router and other LAN issues that have plagued Windows through so many editions.

I've never ever once had a problem with any share (WHS or otherwise).  Why don't you try running without NetMagic and see what happens.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:11 AM
  • You have go to be kidding!  How much does MS pay you to be their apologist?  With the Name "Windows Home Server" you are going to claim the product has never been "targeted at the non-technical user"?  I know this is Microsoft's traditional point of in all of their products, don't bother us if you can't fix it, nevertheless their target is most definitely the general public.

As to the first point, go to the site I describe: the link directing one there from the WHS promotion site states "...gor phone & email support".  There is no email support, at the link destination, only phone for $80 a shot.  The word free does not occur, but it is understood email support is free.  Don't forget, "look and feel" is a tangible legal criterion as to what a consumer has a right to expect, it doen't have to be explicitly stated as "free".

I'm going on vacation Friday, and documenting WHS for you is further down my priority list, although I was hoping to have remote access for my trip, but I will get a WHS package scan up on the web when I get back, if not sooner.  Given your position above, you are in for a bit of a shock, I expect. Trust me, in my business keeping my facts straight is a way of life.

The fact that you, as an extensively trained MS technician, have never had a problem wihth WHS hardly surpises.  It is defacto an MS user requirement.  What you need to do is Google or go to the prominent WHS blogs to see what the general population thinks of the product and the problems they are confronting.  There are tens of thousands of them, not to mention the 20,000 or so here.

How about addressing the error, 80092004.  I checked with Cisco; their NetMagic product is purely a "monitor" aside from the adjustments it can be directed to make for sharing folders and printers.  It has no firewall or other such capablity.  In any case, as described above, I cannt make a remote setup with a clean install, vanilla installation of WHS.

Douglas Hopkins

• Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, July 3, 2009 5:22 PM removed annoying ms office formatting from apparent cut-and-paste job
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I have built a couple of WHS machines on various hardware, using OEM (mostly) install sets. I have had no problem with shares disappearing on the network. The automatic backup works, and is the primary reason for one that I put in at the church I attend - humans won't do backups! The hardware has varied from a dual Athlon machine to a dual-core pentium and another with a dual-core athlon - all came up and ran. I run a small set of extra add-ins on the console, which change as I discover new ones. Two of the three machines use SATA drives, one uses a mix of PATA and SATA - a 120 gig PATA for the residence and 5 TB SATA drives for the data (video and music collections get large sometimes) In addition, the machine with the most storage and the heaviest load runs NewsBin 24 hours a day looking for things that I want. This has cause dno problems - but when I do moves from what Newsbin has collected, I use network shares, not anything mentioning the local storage cluster. That machine has a couple of other drives - one houses NewsBin, and the others are used when I need uncontrolled space. It also runs WinAmp remote so I can stream the audio and the video at work when I get bored. One of the additions to the console is the web folders add-in, which works very well and makes things a bit cleaner for some of the folks that use the data there. One of the motherboards is around 7 years old; the others are new within the last two years - but for a time I did run it on a dual Xeon system that was around 11 years old and had no problems to speak of. I've been around since the early days of the IBM 360, and have worked in the field ever since. I have scorned Windows products before, and am somewhat of a Linux bigot - but from my experience with my hardware, this is one place Microsoft has done well, provided the add-ins for the console keep on coming. I'd like to rum my mail server on WHS, too, but haven't yet had the time to play with that, as I know it is not supported. My web site is minimal but works fine with just a little bending of what MicroSoft supplied, and as soon as I get to it, I'll be adding forum areas, although they will probably live in their own disk space just to make things a little easier to manage. I wish I had a magic answer, but the only thing that looks likely to me is a hardware flake or some BIOS oddity. I did have a motherboard that would not run XP, although it ran 2000 just fine, and there was no more recent BIOS than I had for it - you may be seeing something like this.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:55 PM