Live Mesh and Headless Vista Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am running windows vista business on a headless eeebox and want to use live mesh as a utility to help manage that. The problem I am running into is that sometimes the eeebox needs to be restarted for updates or other maintenance stuff, so:

1) Can you set up live mesh to start as a service, so it runs without anyone logging in?
    2) Can you remote into a computer that has live mesh installed but does not have a user logged on after a reboot? (I think I saw someone saying that this part starts as a service by default but needs to be elavated in vista, however I did not understand what 'evalated' means)
    3) Can you sync files in the same manner?
    4) If not, can I login with live mesh remote desktop and then disconnect to have sync enabled?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi. :-)

#1, no. This has been requested, though - 

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

#2 yes

#3 not by design, but people report that when a user is not logged in, files still sync. They aren't supposed to, though.

#4 I think so. I haven't actually tried this, but I would expect that once you log into the PC remotely, then close the connection without logging off, you may remain logged in at the desktop, which would allow sync to continue. On the other hand, since #3 is reported to be working, it will probably work for you in that you will have logged in, sync starts, then logging off of the box does not end sync.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi. :-)

#1, no. This has been requested, though - 

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

#2 yes

#3 not by design, but people report that when a user is not logged in, files still sync. They aren't supposed to, though.

#4 I think so. I haven't actually tried this, but I would expect that once you log into the PC remotely, then close the connection without logging off, you may remain logged in at the desktop, which would allow sync to continue. On the other hand, since #3 is reported to be working, it will probably work for you in that you will have logged in, sync starts, then logging off of the box does not end sync.

-steve

Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:50 PM
  • cool, just a theoretical question - your self-help faq says that when you disconnect, the user you logged in as will be logged off and the computer will be locked. Does it really mean that or does it mean that the computer just locks itself?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:11 PM
  • In my experience, when you disconnect from the PC, you are not logged out if that is the only user session. If, however, another User is logged on when you remote in, it logs you out when you disconnect.
    Of course, that may not be the way it is supposed to work based on what's in the help text. :-)
    -steve
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Well that seems to be right from what's happening on my setup.. The only thing is that sync does not occur while noone is logged on the headless box after reboot, but everything is fine after I remote into it. Thanks for the info :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:32 PM