One UPS to rule them all? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 1 WHS and 2 client pc's in a room, pretty much side by side by side. Can I use one UPS to gracefully shudown all 3 in the event of a power outage? Do UPS's come with ethernet connections for this sort of thing? All the UPS's I've looked at only allow one PC to be connected to them, either via USB or serial (yuck!). I really want to avoid buying 3 UPS's.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• In general, a UPS is designed to have only a single PC connected. If you need to connect multiple PCs you will have to add together the wattage of all of the connected equipment to determine how much capacity you need. You'll probably find that a single UPS sized to handle multiple computers is at least as expensive as (and possibly much more expensive than) one smaller UPS per computer.

If you still want to try the single UPS route, the "shutdown" command is capable of shutting down a remote PC in addition to the local PC. There are some security considerations in a home (workgroup); it has to be executed locally in the security context of a user who also exists on the remote computer with the same password, and the user on the computer being shut down must be an administrator on the remote computer.

For more information on the shutdown command, type "shutdown /?" at a command prompt, or search on MSDN or TechNet.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:29 PM