Error when trying to set up Home Server Vail domain name RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up my custom domain name on my Vail box, however I get the following error after inputting my Live ID and password and pressing next: "An Error Occurred while setting up your Domain Name. The Domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and try the wizard again. An unexpected or unknown problem occurred. Please wait a few minutes, and then try again." The Windows Server Domain Name Management service stops when this error happens, but is started when the machine boots up. I have been trying this for the past 2 days and nothing has changed. I can access the Remote web site via my external IP address, so I know all of my ports are forwarded correctly. I had the EXACT same error happen on SBS Aurora Beta 2 days ago, which is why I tried Home Server Vail instead, so I know that the install is good. i have tried changing my Live password to a plain one without any special characters, and that didn't do anything. Any ideas whats going on?

Here is a picture of the error:

Sunday, October 31, 2010 7:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• I get the same thing.  I am not sure what this setup is actually supposed to do though, as IIS is setup to bind to all IP addresses on the system, and listen on all host names.  Mine works fine using the domain name I always have, even without this section being setup.  It seems like this is a sketchy way to get users to buy into certain registrars for their domains, and it sucks Microsoft would go down that road.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I get the same thing.  I am not sure what this setup is actually supposed to do though, as IIS is setup to bind to all IP addresses on the system, and listen on all host names.  Mine works fine using the domain name I always have, even without this section being setup.  It seems like this is a sketchy way to get users to buy into certain registrars for their domains, and it sucks Microsoft would go down that road.

Basically what this wizard does is set up the DNS for your home server, which "ties" xxxxx.homeserver.com to your IP address. Since you must have had it set up before (on v1, perhaps), your domain is already tied to your (static) IP, and that is why it works. In my situation, I actually physically moved to a new location, and have a new ISP, with a new IP address, and can't do much with the wizard failing.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 4:11 PM
  • That could be... I use my Dlink router to manage my DNS with DynDNS.org.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 4:21 PM
  • I checked the event log after trying this again, and here was the error: "The Windows Server Domain Name Management service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service." Event Id 7031.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Hi, you could try restarting the service (Windows Server Domain Management) manually.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hi, you could try restarting the service (Windows Server Domain Management) manually.

I have tried that already. I can manually restart the service, reboot the machine, or just wait a couple of minutes, and I can run the wizard again, but get the same result.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Could you report a bug with logs? Thx.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I'm having the same error with a domain I currently own and use for other things. I have a sub-domain setup and ready, but the wizard seems to insist on the creation of it. Is there a way to manually set these option up?
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:35 PM