Adding Harddrive and reinstalation and/or upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Here is what i did
    1) installed WHS with a single SATA 500 GB HD
    2) hooked up a second regular ATA HD 160 GB HD
    3) i didn't realize my bios time was off by a few years (new motherboard) changed, that in turned locked me out of WHS

4) I went ahead and reinstalled the software with the two drives in it, i hit upgrade server during install

to my suprise, WHS installed itself not onto the SATA but actually the 160GB drive deleting everything on it. Anyone have problems like this, anyone know how to prevent it (if MS releases new versions)?
    Monday, March 26, 2007 10:17 PM

Answers

• You may be able to control this via the boot order in the BIOS. WHS will install on the first hard drive the BIOS presents to it, so it may be possible to configure your BIOS to present a particular controller first.

When it installs, it will reformat all installed disks. You have no choice except to abort the installation.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:26 PM

All replies

• You may be able to control this via the boot order in the BIOS. WHS will install on the first hard drive the BIOS presents to it, so it may be possible to configure your BIOS to present a particular controller first.

When it installs, it will reformat all installed disks. You have no choice except to abort the installation.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:26 PM
  • I installed WHS on my gamer machine in an interesting configuration. I had an extra data drive on my gamer which was IDE (D: in my case). My Windows XP installation is on the SATA (primary) drive. Here's what I did to configure a dual boot configuration and protect my other drive...

1. Disconnected my SATA drive.

2. Modified the BIOS to boot from my IDE drive.

3. Installed WHS on my IDE drive. (2 partitions created as normal)

4. Shutdown the computer.

5. Re-connected my SATA drive (remember, this contains the Windows XP install for my gaming)

6. Booted WHS normally.

WHS sees my Windows XP drive (SATA) as an extra hard drive. You can access it but it's not part of WHS's Drive Extender. I do have the option of using the tools to manually install the drive into DE but chose not to for obvious reasons. I can now boot either my gamer running XP or WHS depending on my BIOS settings. If you have all your hard drives connected when you install WHS (as you found out), it will configure all the drives to be used by WHS. It's not exactly your problem but this might help.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 7:31 PM