Remote Access Setup - Log in to Windows Live RRS feed

• Question

• I have previously setup a domain under the .homeserver,com address from WHS V1. Recently it seemd to be broken and would not repair, so I released the domain name. When I try to configure I am unable to login using my MS Live credential, even though I can do so, using the same email address and password, via Firefox/MS Live home page. WHS setup window reports 'Incorrect email address or password'.  Any ideas?

Many thanks

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:49 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem and it has been bugging me for months. Please help!
    Dessco
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:55 PM
  • It’s not a feature it’s a BUG! It is the same problem as found here (three years before/WHS1): Configuring remote access, windows live ID problems

You have to shorten your "Windows Live"-login-password to finish your "Remote Access Setup". My 20-character password will not be accepted, I just use a 8-character password: successful!

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:04 PM
  • My original password was only 9 characters long and my new one is 7 characters and I still have the same problem.
    Dessco
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Probably a problem with special characters? You may try to change your "Windows Live" login to a simple password (especially with simple characters, letters & numbers only, max. 12 characters). So far, it worked for me with the german version of WHS 2011...
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:09 PM
  • I have posted with others on this recently.  Basically there are inconsistencies between RA and Live logins in terms of what special characters are allowed.  Also, max length seems to be 16 characters.  Search on this issue and you will see what a mess it is.  I broke my login by trying to upgrade the quality of the password.  

My compromise was to reduce the number of special characters but to increase the length of the login to the maximum.  Steve Gibson the controversial MC of the Security Now podcast has recently made the point that "Length Matters" i.e. you raise the complexity of brute force attacks on your password much more by increasing the length of the password than by increasing the complexity (of a shorter password)... do the math.... 

In any case, the fact that MS makes us compromise with security is telling but not surprising.

Friday, June 10, 2011 11:42 AM
  • I have a slightly different problem.  I finally got my router to be configured correctly, but when I try to login, with my live id to register a domain name, it will try to login but then nothing it will stay on the login screen asking for my live id and password.  Now it doesnt give me any error message or anything.  I have tried shortening the password and "compromised".  Any ideas?
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:54 PM