CRM 2011 - Import Issue With Lookup Field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

I am trying to import brand new Cases into CRM from Excel. (.CSV).

One of the column to import is native 'Account' lookup in Cases.

In our CRM, Accounts are classified as 2 types through Picklist values :

1. Customer

2. Group

i.e. each customer record will have one group record even if there is one-to-one scenario. We distinguish it through custom ID field prefixed with CU- xxx and GR- xxx and with Picklist values ( I have this values in my excel file along with Account name)

Now, while importing this file I get large number of failures saying 'A duplicate lookup reference was found' which is logical because there are 2 accounts in system with same name. one account of type 'Customer' and other as 'Group' and therefore CRM doesn't know against which record it should create Case.

I want to create all these Cases against 'Customer' type and not 'Group'.

My question is, how do I set it up where import process will only create Case against account of type 'Customer' ?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

H.Desai

• Changed type H.Desai Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:41 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

An approach would be to write a simple console application to get the account guid for every account name in the excel where the type = customer. Replace the account name column with the list of account id's and change your mapping in the import.

Another approach would be to write a console application that imports the cases (for every account name in the list: retrieve the account where the name = the account name and the type = customer . Create your case afterwards with the correct account).

Just make sure your mapping is a unique value (like the account id).

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

• Marked as answer by H.Desai Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:41 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:41 PM
  • You can get the id of Customer and use that in import. Open customer record. Press Ctrl+N. Copy URL and paste it in notepad and Get the ID of Customer.

OR

For import only change the customer name so that it becomes unique. After import change the name back

Regards Faisal

Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

An approach would be to write a simple console application to get the account guid for every account name in the excel where the type = customer. Replace the account name column with the list of account id's and change your mapping in the import.

Another approach would be to write a console application that imports the cases (for every account name in the list: retrieve the account where the name = the account name and the type = customer . Create your case afterwards with the correct account).

Just make sure your mapping is a unique value (like the account id).

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:41 PM
  • You can get the id of Customer and use that in import. Open customer record. Press Ctrl+N. Copy URL and paste it in notepad and Get the ID of Customer.

OR

For import only change the customer name so that it becomes unique. After import change the name back

Regards Faisal

Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Thanks guys for your suggestions.
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:32 PM