none
AH340 - WHS 2011 Install Process RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to replace a WHS V1 install with a new install of WHS 2011 that I have on MS original CD, I need some URL's or links on how to do this on a headless unit.  I know this is not an upgrade at all, so a fresh install is required.  I require some assistance on how to do this the first time and get it right.  Currently am running WHS V1 and it working acceptably now.

I do know data will have to be backed up elsewhere first and then re-installed after 2011 WHS is completed and setup.  This is not problem and can be done from client side machines prior to the new install.  The backup files will be lost but that is OK, I will start new sequence of auto backups with the new version, its not my only system backup.

As this Acer unit does not have a CD, Keyboard, Mouse or Screen, this presents a problem for someone who only knows how to install things with the above equipment.  I am familiar as most pros at how to configure PC and laptop computers, but servers are another world to me, and I am not very experienced in.  So among the many folks here, someone may have clues on how to do this . . . . Are any of the ideas below valid at all ?  Expand on any of them please.

1. Is it advisable (and workable) to remove the existing OS drive and place it in a slave computer that has all the above, so when the WHS 2011 install from a CD is complete and all written to the drive I can then remove the drive prior to any system configuration and then place it back into slot 1 ?  Will this work ?  Has anyone actually done it ?
    2. Is there some way to copy the CD to the OS drive first (possibly over the original V1 install), and start the 2011 install on the Acer 340 from a client computer ?  This idea I like cause then I have the OS on the drive for future refresh installs.  Is this even possible or workable ?
    3. When I purchased this Acer AH340, I was told that the V1 Op system install was already on the drive.  If this is true, I have never seen hide nor hair of it, but somehow I expect its in a hidden partition.  Is it possible that all I need to do is copy the 2011 CD into that partition to allow myself to recover in the future without a CD.  Then how would I start the install process remotely ?
    4. Is the versions of NTFS between WHS V1 and 2011 the same ?

I expect I am not the only one and there is a treasure trove of information on how to do this somewhere, but have not been able to find it.  All information will be helpful, and thanks in advance to all.

~OS~

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:40 PM

Answers

• Well time to say thanks to BullDawg for finding the URL that solves the problem of 'How To' install WHS 2011 on an Acer AH340.  He found the solution that worked with his URL above, posted from a gent by Jake Thomas.  I have c/p'ed from his post below, and added a few of my comments, but the process worked perfectly, thanks to his detailed instructions.  

Some unrelated info above and below this has been snipped:

My additions are added within {}.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Home Server 2011 system requirement are as follows:

CPU - 1.3 GHz x86-64 Dual Core or 1.4 GHz x86-64 Single Core
    RAM - 2 GB (8 GB Maximum)
    Hard disk space - 160 GB

1.  Backup all your data, {on your original V1 shares and files, then shut down and remove all drives from Acer H340 after a shutdown.  All existing data drives will be reformatted upon placing them back into an updated H340 with WHS 2011.  Old back up files will not be recovered with the new system install either from what I read, am not sure if backing them up and adding them back to your new install will work at all}

2.  Connect desired system drive to desktop PC. I removed all my other drives for the time being.

3.  Boot from the WHS 2011 DVD and run the installation.

4.  When the installation reboots the computer the first time turn OFF your PC. This is VERY important, otherwise you'll end up with your PC's hardware information on the system drive and when you put it into the home server it will likely fail.

5.  After shutting down computer, put the new drive into the system drive slot on the home server.  For the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 it is the bottom slot. Leave {all} your other drive(s) out for now.

6.  Turn on the home server and let it run for a while. Mine took about 10 - 15 minutes for the installation to complete.  {Again leave out any other drives other than slot 1}

7.  On your desktop, {restored to its original Op System Drive}, it should be turned on now open your Network folder and when the home server installation is complete you'll see it pop up as SERVER (you may need to refresh the window). SERVER is the default name given by the installation.

8.  Open http://ipaddressofserver/setup/launch.aspx from a browser (you may need to view the devices connected to your router to obtain the IP address of the server, or you could use the name "SERVER" in lieu of the IP). {in a command window, IPCONFIG Server, will get the IP of the new server as it will be a DHCP assigned IP}.

{8a.  You will be asked for a new password to the server, then you must 'Download and Run the Server Wizard' to make the connector active between client and server at this point.  After series of setup screens you will be able to setup the Client Connector.  It starts with a 'Under that button is a jump link that I had to use that states 'If no setup after 2 minutes, click here'.  Clicking on the button didn't start the process, but clicking on the line below got it started.} 

9.  Confirm date and time

10.  Agree to EULA

11.  Enter product key from WHS package/COA (Make sure you enter the correct key all at once. I had a typo, which I then corrected, but the installation would not take the fix. I had to retype the entire product key once more and it worked fine.)

12. Let the wizard prepare your Home Server. It will take some time and the server will reboot multiple times.  {Took about 35 mins}.

{12a.  For V1.0 users: Removal of your older V1.0 Connector via Control Panel - Add and Remove Programs is required prior to WHS 2011 Connector install on any of your client computers.  Its also noted that DotNet 4.0 is required for the new connector to work (you get prompted to this, and it indicates that it will install it but it never did on my installs).  After several tries to get it to work, I then added DotNet 4.0 manually (with a download from MS) as the WHS initial install did not seem to complete this process on its own.  This allowed the launchpad and dashboard to fully install.}

13.  Once done you will be prompted to connect to the Home Server.  Say "Connect" or open your browser and go to: http://ipaddressofserver:65510/Connect/

14.  Once the launchpad and dashboard software are installed on your client computer you can administer the server there, however for more advance features you'll need to RDP to the home server.

This process would also work for replacement of a failed system drive with the same WHS OS.

{15.  This brings us to the reconnecting of all computers on the network to the server.  This how ever is another story as one of my older XP Pro installs would start the client connector setup and then stop midway though (with the install bar graph stopping at 75% and then going backward to 0) and then cease the install and not inform you why.  The only response you get from the failure is contact the System Administrator.  How helpful M$ ! ! !}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment on 15: The failure to install has since been found to be a fragmented file somewhere in the client XP operating system files, this was identified by another on a different forum.  So a full re-install of XP Pro and all its programs resolved this issue on that machine.  Several older laptops on the system required addition of XP SP 3 to run the WHS 2011 launchpad and dashboard connector as well.

Two general comments on all this, the amount of install information from Microsoft is basically nothing for the WHS 2011, its mostly advertising and back patting.  I am not sure how they expect the general public to use this system without any directions at all.  So far the only support you will get is on the forums, poor way to present a pretty good product actually, but its like they never even used it.

Lots of thanks to the initial author of the above Jake Thomas, my additions are in {}, also thanks to BullDawg and Ken Warren, who's comments on Acer support was right on the money.  Its truly astonishing how two different product makers, that both have unique and fairly good products, that work well, and could have a dramatic impact on home network systems, have no one on staff that can answer simple support questions.

Thanks to all once again

~OS~

• Marked as answer by OleSchooler Friday, June 22, 2012 3:33 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:29 AM

All replies

• See the following.  I have not tested the process, so use at your own risk.

http://www.intensegamingtv.com/entries/11-Upgrading-the-Acer-Aspire-EasyStore-H340-to-Windows-Home-Server-2011-(WHS-2011

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Am trying to replace a WHS V1 install with a new install of WHS 2011 that I have on MS original CD, I need some URL's or links on how to do this on a headless unit. I know this is not an upgrade at all, so a fresh install is required. I require some assistance on how to do this the first time and get it right. Currently am running WHS V1 and it working acceptably now.
    :
    : I do know data will have to be backed up elsewhere first and then re-installed after 2011 WHS is completed and setup. This is not problem and can be done from client side machines prior to the new install. The backup files will be lost but that is OK, I will start new sequence of auto backups with the new version, its not my only system backup.
    :
    : As this Acer unit does not have a CD, Keyboard, Mouse or Screen, this presents a problem for someone who only knows how to install things with the above equipment. I am familiar as most pros at how to configure PC and laptop computers, but servers are another world to me, and I am not very experienced in. So among the many folks here, someone may have clues on how to do this . . . . Are any of the ideas below valid at all ? Expand on any of them please.
    :
    : 1. Is it advisable (and workable) to remove the existing OS drive and place it in a slave computer that has all the above, so when the WHS 2011 install from a CD is complete and all written to the drive I can then remove the drive prior to any system configuration and then place it back into slot 1 ? Will this work ? Has anyone actually done it ?
    : 2. Is there some way to copy the CD to the OS drive first (possibly over the original V1 install), and start the 2011 install on the Acer 340 from a client computer ? This idea I like cause then I have the OS on the drive for future refresh installs. Is this even possible or workable ?
    : 3. When I purchased this Acer AH340, I was told that the V1 Op system install was already on the drive. If this is true, I have never seen hide nor hair of it, but somehow I expect its in a hidden partition. Is it possible that all I need to do is copy the 2011 CD into that partition to allow myself to recover in the future without a CD. Then how would I start the install process remotely ?
    : 4. Is the versions of NTFS between WHS V1 and 2011 the same ?
    :
    : I expect I am not the only one and there is a treasure trove of information on how to do this somewhere, but have not been able to find it. All information will be helpful, and thanks in advance to all.
    :
    :
    : ~OS~
    :
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Friday, June 8, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Hey BullDawg,

Well its the most complete and detailed information I have seen so far, and the comments were also quite informative also.  Now I do feel bit more confident that this may be the way to do this, place the op sys drive in a desktop and do the install there.    

You know for a very fine server compact server box, the lack of support on it is just astounding really.  I have run the pre-installedWHS V1.1 on this for now over three years, and not a hitch in it at all, have even swapped drives out and all.  Then you look on any WHS forums and see how many people are reading the Acer AH340 posts so you know this in on the minds of quite a few.  

I have spent an afternoon of phone discussion with Acer Support both on the commercial side and corporate side, without any success about how they installed the op system, or even ideas on how to install a new OP system (remarkable I know).  The best they could do was forward me on to an 'Answers By' service who does all of Acer computer support.  None of them had anyone experienced with the AH340 N230 unit, so was a complete blank from them as they have never been called for support on the H340 at all, says a lot for the equipment really.  All the servers they support are not headless.

Thanks for the post and will give the new WHS 2011 install the ole college try here this weekend and see what goes, I think we may be on to something here on how to do this easily.  Now the proof is in the pudding lets see how it all goes, and will post results and thoughts when I finish with it.  Still transferring files off the box and expect it to go until tomorrow at least.

Cheers

~OS~

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:31 PM
  • You have to understand that Acer doesn't have an upgrade to Windows Home Server 2011 of their own, so they're completely uninterested in the process. And (honestly) they don't have the best tech support in the world.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, June 8, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Well time to say thanks to BullDawg for finding the URL that solves the problem of 'How To' install WHS 2011 on an Acer AH340.  He found the solution that worked with his URL above, posted from a gent by Jake Thomas.  I have c/p'ed from his post below, and added a few of my comments, but the process worked perfectly, thanks to his detailed instructions.  

Some unrelated info above and below this has been snipped:

My additions are added within {}.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard disk space - 160 GB

1.  Backup all your data, {on your original V1 shares and files, then shut down and remove all drives from Acer H340 after a shutdown.  All existing data drives will be reformatted upon placing them back into an updated H340 with WHS 2011.  Old back up files will not be recovered with the new system install either from what I read, am not sure if backing them up and adding them back to your new install will work at all}

2.  Connect desired system drive to desktop PC. I removed all my other drives for the time being.

4.  When the installation reboots the computer the first time turn OFF your PC. This is VERY important, otherwise you'll end up with your PC's hardware information on the system drive and when you put it into the home server it will likely fail.

5.  After shutting down computer, put the new drive into the system drive slot on the home server.  For the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 it is the bottom slot. Leave {all} your other drive(s) out for now.

6.  Turn on the home server and let it run for a while. Mine took about 10 - 15 minutes for the installation to complete.  {Again leave out any other drives other than slot 1}

7.  On your desktop, {restored to its original Op System Drive}, it should be turned on now open your Network folder and when the home server installation is complete you'll see it pop up as SERVER (you may need to refresh the window). SERVER is the default name given by the installation.

8.  Open http://ipaddressofserver/setup/launch.aspx from a browser (you may need to view the devices connected to your router to obtain the IP address of the server, or you could use the name "SERVER" in lieu of the IP). {in a command window, IPCONFIG Server, will get the IP of the new server as it will be a DHCP assigned IP}.

{8a.  You will be asked for a new password to the server, then you must 'Download and Run the Server Wizard' to make the connector active between client and server at this point.  After series of setup screens you will be able to setup the Client Connector.  It starts with a 'Under that button is a jump link that I had to use that states 'If no setup after 2 minutes, click here'.  Clicking on the button didn't start the process, but clicking on the line below got it started.} 

10.  Agree to EULA

11.  Enter product key from WHS package/COA (Make sure you enter the correct key all at once. I had a typo, which I then corrected, but the installation would not take the fix. I had to retype the entire product key once more and it worked fine.)

12. Let the wizard prepare your Home Server. It will take some time and the server will reboot multiple times.  {Took about 35 mins}.

{12a.  For V1.0 users: Removal of your older V1.0 Connector via Control Panel - Add and Remove Programs is required prior to WHS 2011 Connector install on any of your client computers.  Its also noted that DotNet 4.0 is required for the new connector to work (you get prompted to this, and it indicates that it will install it but it never did on my installs).  After several tries to get it to work, I then added DotNet 4.0 manually (with a download from MS) as the WHS initial install did not seem to complete this process on its own.  This allowed the launchpad and dashboard to fully install.}

13.  Once done you will be prompted to connect to the Home Server.  Say "Connect" or open your browser and go to: http://ipaddressofserver:65510/Connect/

14.  Once the launchpad and dashboard software are installed on your client computer you can administer the server there, however for more advance features you'll need to RDP to the home server.

This process would also work for replacement of a failed system drive with the same WHS OS.

{15.  This brings us to the reconnecting of all computers on the network to the server.  This how ever is another story as one of my older XP Pro installs would start the client connector setup and then stop midway though (with the install bar graph stopping at 75% and then going backward to 0) and then cease the install and not inform you why.  The only response you get from the failure is contact the System Administrator.  How helpful M$ ! ! !}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment on 15: The failure to install has since been found to be a fragmented file somewhere in the client XP operating system files, this was identified by another on a different forum.  So a full re-install of XP Pro and all its programs resolved this issue on that machine.  Several older laptops on the system required addition of XP SP 3 to run the WHS 2011 launchpad and dashboard connector as well.

Two general comments on all this, the amount of install information from Microsoft is basically nothing for the WHS 2011, its mostly advertising and back patting.  I am not sure how they expect the general public to use this system without any directions at all.  So far the only support you will get is on the forums, poor way to present a pretty good product actually, but its like they never even used it.

Lots of thanks to the initial author of the above Jake Thomas, my additions are in {}, also thanks to BullDawg and Ken Warren, who's comments on Acer support was right on the money.  Its truly astonishing how two different product makers, that both have unique and fairly good products, that work well, and could have a dramatic impact on home network systems, have no one on staff that can answer simple support questions.

Thanks to all once again

~OS~

• Marked as answer by OleSchooler Friday, June 22, 2012 3:33 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Hey OleSchooler,

I just stumbled across this.  I'm actually the author of that article, but I think your comments are really valuable so I'm going to link to this forum page from the blog.  Thanks for your kind remarks.  I'm glad the process worked for you. 

I also wrote another article about just getting the unit set up out of the box as it was a total nightmare.  It's astounding how poorly Acer supports this product.  Definitely not for those who don't want a challenge and aren't interested in figuring things out themselves.

Jake

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:47 PM
  • This is a really good thread and I have followed this as closely as possible but I still have a few problems installing WHS2011 on my HP EX470. I have upgraded it to 2GB RAM and an Athlon 64 CPU 2.6GHz CPU from the 1.8Ghz Sempron and 1GB RAM it came with. The machine is more responsive with the upgrade but I want to put the latest OS on it as it needs and OS refresh as it is still relatively sluggish. I have followed the DVD install method and the USB install method and I have issues with both.

First the DVD method which I have tried with two different hard disks. I boot my desktop PC with the MS OEM DVD and the files are copied, extracted, configured and then it says installing updates. It then says the system will reboot in 10 seconds. I have left the machine to reboot and as soon as the fans stop running I pull the power cable to stop the reboot from going any further. I have tried this approach with Western Digital 500GB and a Seagate 500GB drives. I then place the 500GB drive into the HP and I leave the machine for 20mins. When I return to the "headless machine" just like the ACER above the machine has turned itself off. I reboot it and it runs for about 10mins. During this time I am able to get to the http://Server/Connect page and start the rest of the install process. Soon after this the machine turns itself off without any warning. With the Seagate drive the HP health light turns red which usually indicates a failed OS, but I can access the server via the web page from my laptop so the OS cannot have failed completely

Secondly with the Western Digital Drive after I place the drive into the HP, the machine does not boot and will sit there all night.

Both hard disks appear to be functioning okay I have placed them in my desktop PC and run scans etc  on them and used Acronis to scrub them between installs so there are no funny boot loaders etc etc.

Remember this machine works fine with the new hardware and the old OS so I assume there is an issue with the finalising of the install on the HP. I don't know if the HP needs any additional drivers for controllers etc

I have also tried the USB approach - copy all the files from the DVD onto a 64GB USB stick, make it bootable see http://www.dba-resources.com/whs/installing-whs-2011-on-a-hp-mediasmart-ex475/, insert into the HP, press F12, down arrow Key 7 times and enter. Nothing happens. This last approach I believe need updatings for the HP EX470 as I have see some comments stating there may be a few other key strokes required to blindly select the correct boot device. If any one knows the correct key sequence after pressing F12 to enter the BIOS blindly I would be most gratefull.

Does anyone also know of a way of adding a remote desktop capability to a headless server from initial boot. The USB to DISPLAY devices won't work I assume (cheep solution) as they need a functioning OS. I didn't want to spend £150 on the HP debug hardware for a one off install and there isn't a spare PCI slot fro a graphics card

I would be gratefull for any help.

Mark 

Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:16 AM
  • This is all great but Step 2???

----

----

What does  this mean???  I have the ACER AH340 as well with the 4 usb's on back and SATA port...  You left out this very important step, How to connect PC to the Server....  Is it USB to USB.  Your normal USB has a pc side end and a devise end usually mini usb or other.  What are you all doing here??  I see how to take pc and boot  from DVD but again step 2 is vital and I am stopped here.  It seems crazy to make a home server and not have  a port for a monitor...   Any help would be appreciated, thanks... 

Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:24 PM
  • ... What does  this mean??? ...

1. Take drive out of system A (your server).
    2. Install drive in system B (your desktop).
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

As for it seeming crazy to not have a monitor port, the lack of this port was an OEM requirement for Windows Home Server V1. So it's by design; it's missing "because Microsoft said so".

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:35 AM
  • WOW...   I am over-thinking this, not sure how I didn't get that...    I wasted all of Saturday trying to understand that one line.....................  Thanks...
    Monday, August 13, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Question...

I took the HD out of the server and put it into my desktop (took all other drives out).  Changed boot sequence for DVD to boot first.  Anyway, started it up and the DVD started, seems like it tries to read dvd, then it passes it and tried to boot off of old server HD, which then brings up the server logo on screen, then it quickly goes through the boot sequence again.  It just keeps looping this over and over again.

Does anyone know why?

Also does it matter that my desktop is a 32bit xp machine and the server 2011 disk is 64bit???
    Friday, August 17, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Got it to boot and I got this message "attempting to Load a 64-bit application however your cpu is not compatible with 64-bit mode"  Is there anyway around this...  Other than that I only have laptops around me...
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Got it to boot and I got this message "attempting to Load a 64-bit application however your cpu is not compatible with 64-bit mode"  Is there anyway around this...  
    No. Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64 bit operating system.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Ken,

First off i have been a fan of your posts for years!! This propcess works great! Now my question is this...What do i need to load(ad-in) to get the backplane(i think that is what it is called) drive lights functioning again? I think it also hooks into the information event logs?

Sincerely,

Fosster

Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Now my question is this...What do i need to load(ad-in) to get the backplane(i think that is what it is called) drive lights functioning again?

This requires a custom driver, so it's not going to be possible to get the lights functioning.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:09 PM
  • I have an Acer H340 that refuses to boot anymore. I've transferred all the data off it via the drive extended second HDD. The data is safe and both drives can be reformatted. I've also installed a debug board in it a few years ago so I can see what is going on.

When the H340 gets to the login, the keyboard and mouse freeze. So I can't access the OS anymore. The OS HDD has been saying for about two years now that the drive is failing. Now I'm wondering if I should invest in a 128GB SSD drive for a new OS drive. I'll follow the directions above to install WHS 2011. Do you think this will work or should I just buy a 500GB HDD instead for the new OS drive?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Hey Oleschooler et al,

I too decided to upgrade my Acer H340 to WHS2011, and I followed your/Jakes guidelines above (many thanks to both of you for an in-depth and very usefull description).

Sadly I didn't get very far in the process:

1. After backing up my data I took the chance and deleted partitions on my WHS v1 system drive - making it blank.

2. I attached that drive to my laptop USB and removed the local hard drive for safety. Before that, the SATA to USB bridge drivers installed fine, and the drive is listed in the WIN7 Explorer on the laptop.

3. I booted on the original WHS2011 installation disk, but when reaching second installation screen where all hard drives are supposed to be listed, the drive is not found by the Installation Wizzard. Guide is then to load drivers if the drive is not listed, but I have no clue where to find these drivers. My drive is a WD10EAVS 1TB and I tried WDs site to find drivers to download, but no luck.

I will very much appreciate if someone could advice how to procees the installation.

Thanks in advance!

/sonny

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:24 AM
  • The below process worked great but I must advise of a couple of key points that may help since I had to do the process twice before I got it right. 

1) Second time I tried to shut off the computer after I saw the reboot just start on the screen. Then swapped out the drive and put it into the Server. The first time I tried I just saw the shutting down screen and may have jumped the gun.

2) Make sure you are using the same keyboard language in both computers, particularly because this will impact your Server password. You get to select this on the sever install screen.

3) I used all of the following within my Server password; caps, lower case, numbers and special characters.

Not sure if any or all of the these were required but using all of them on my second try, ensured that the install was successful.

Once your install is successful, you will be required to do the Windows updates on the WHS 2011 software and there are many of them.

Good luck! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard disk space - 160 GB

10.  Agree to EULA

Thanks to all once again

~OS~

• Edited by mljacques Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:25 PM