CRM 4.0 - Multiple Organisations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was reading the 'Whats New' PDF and the Multiple Organisations section. Our scenario is that our directors run 3 seperate companies. We want to have all CRM data shared between these companies, but at the moment each company is on SBS 2003. We were thinking that 1 company upgrades to Windows 2003, and gets CRM 4.0 Enterprise and plays host to the other 2 companies (SBS 2K3 based). My major questions are:

1. Can data be shared between the organisations?

2. Can each organisation use the CRM with all their separate Exchange domain details?

3. Is this the best way to sort our scenario?

Thanks in advance for any help

Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:50 PM

Answers

• There could be many solutions to this problem, one possiblity is:

1. Upgrade two of the SBS Servers to Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers and join them to what you want to be the primary SBS domain (to the best of my knowledge SBS does support multiple domains in one forest so long as SBS is the root of the forest). 

2. This would allow for you to install CRM4 on its own SQL & CRM server (Since I belive installing on a DC isn't allowed).

3. Since all your domains are now trusted (in the same forest) you could give access to all users to the same databases.

All data would be in the same databases and you could use roles to divy up visibility.  As I said, this is one possibly solution; but there may be more cost effective measures depending on what licensing you're using, etc.  I would also recommend using a Microsoft Certified partner to be sure all the different combinations and licensing considerations are looked at.

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:46 PM

All replies

• CRM 4 hasn't released yet, but most likely:

1. Can data be shared between the organisations?

- No, each organization is completely independant of the other

2. Can each organisation use the CRM with all their separate Exchange domain details?

- If I understand your question correctly, Yes. There can be one exchange router installed with multiple profiles.

3. Is this the best way to sort our scenario?

- Without fully understanding the business issue this is a tough question. 

It sounds like each of the 3 companies all use SBS 2003.  If you will not be consolidating these into one single AD domain/forest this could be a difficult scenario.  If you were to install a seperate CRM4 instance on each SBS machine you could use a third party or custom CRM to CRM integration to copy all the account data between the deployments. 

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Thanks Sean,

What our scenario is, is that we have 3 different companies (Our directors own each of them). They serve the same field (Insurance & Legal) and use the same Sales Department and so they want to all plug into the same CRM system, but still retain their own credentials (Eg, send email through the system using user@company1.com, user@company2.com).

Each company has its own network, with its own domain (all on SBS domains). We are aware that SBS doesnt allow trusts between domains. We dont mind upgrading to full Server 2003, so that isnt an issue. All we need is to achieve the above, and we can upgrade the infrastructure to accomodate this. I just need to know what to do and how we can get it to work like that.
    Monday, November 12, 2007 2:39 PM
  • There could be many solutions to this problem, one possiblity is:

1. Upgrade two of the SBS Servers to Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers and join them to what you want to be the primary SBS domain (to the best of my knowledge SBS does support multiple domains in one forest so long as SBS is the root of the forest). 

2. This would allow for you to install CRM4 on its own SQL & CRM server (Since I belive installing on a DC isn't allowed).

3. Since all your domains are now trusted (in the same forest) you could give access to all users to the same databases.

All data would be in the same databases and you could use roles to divy up visibility.  As I said, this is one possibly solution; but there may be more cost effective measures depending on what licensing you're using, etc.  I would also recommend using a Microsoft Certified partner to be sure all the different combinations and licensing considerations are looked at.

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Sean.

Rather than step 2, could we run CRM 3 SBE on the SBS Server, and have the other 2 Server 2003 networks plug into that one?
    Monday, November 12, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Yes, I think that should work.  I would be sure that you have proper hardware resources on your SBS server as it will be running a lot of components (physical RAID 5 or 10 creating a logical drive for logs & data) enough RAM, etc, etc. I believe the recommended method is to take the recommended resources for each product and add them together.

IE:

Windows Server 2003 Recommended RAM (when running as a DC/GC) + Exchange 2003 Recommended RAM + SQL Standard Recommended RAM + CRM Recommended RAM + any other server applications [custom web sites, custom apps, etc].

Good luck with everything.

-Sean

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:01 PM
  • I'm afraid the above suggestion to link the SBS domains won't work, as SBS cannot trust, or be trusted by, any other domains. To quote from MS documentation 'You cannot establish any type of trust between the Windows Small Business Server domain and any other domain'.

You can only setup trusts if you move all 3 companies over to Windows Server 2003

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Thanks David, I mixed up joining multiple DC's to SBS & multiple domains

Sean

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Cheers guys,

Would this definatley work then? If we upgrade all to Windows Server 03, then we put CRM & SQL on another box on one of the domains, would we definatley be able to allow access to users from the other domains when we set up trusts? (Im just making sure as im only experienced in using SBS, although I do have 2003 certs). Even more, would it work with CRM 3.0 rather than CRM 4
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:14 AM
  • Yes, if all organisations are Windows 2003 you can establish trusts between each domain, so users from one domain will be able to access CRM and SQL in another domain. This works the same with CRM 3 and 4

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:18 PM
  •  

Can we deploy two CRM with multiple database servers but those databses can sych/share data
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:16 PM
  • You could, but you'd have to wirte the sync code yourself

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I believe I read that the CRM 4.0 SBE edition allows only 5 users.

I will double check but that could be a show stopper.

/:<

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:28 PM
  • This should probably be a seperate thread, but there is no "SBE" edition in 4.0. 

WorkGroup - Used by no more than 5 users.

Professional - I am not aware of a limit - can split server roles into "Application" and "Platform" if you wish to scale out

Enterprise - Can scale out to all 6 server roles, I am also not aware of any user limits for enterprise

... Forgot one other detail:
    Pro - One enabled organization is allowed

Ent - Capable of multiple organizations

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:06 AM
  •  

No software utility provided by Microsoft or any third party to sync different CRM databases ?
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:13 AM
  • Yes I do stand corrected.  It's so easy to equate workgroup with SBS.

But  multi-tenancy is a cool feature that I am working with now.

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Perhaps I've missed the point but wouldn't having one CRM installation with 4 Business Units work?

You would have the Root BU with no users (apart from admin) and then 3 child BUs, one for each of the 3 separate companies and assign users to the appropriate BU. This way you get to be able to share data between the three BUs, you can use the CRM security model to stop other users from seeing records that they shouldn't and you only need one set of hardware.

Each user could be configured with the appropriate e-mail address. You'd need to set this up in Exchange/Active Directory but it wouldn't be too difficult to configure SBS to accept e-mails for three different e-mail domains.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:04 PM