none
No longer possible to read any messages when using Safari / Mac. RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday (Thursday) it didn't matter if I used Safari on the Mac or IE on Vista or XPPro.

Today it does.

IE still works fine.

Safari/Mac now has a major and a minor problem.

The major problem is that it is now impossible to read *any* messages. I can get a list of the messages in a forum, but when I click on one of them, all that is displayed is the framework of the page. The message itself never appears (and, No, it isn't because I haven't scrolled down, there is no scroll down).

The minor problem is that the page with the list of messages in a forum is badly formatted if not signed in. Once signed in the page formats OK.

The major problem here is a crunch issue. My MacBook is my travelling machine. I can't do forum "work" away from home if I can't read any messages ...
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 25, 2008 3:59 PM still and now added
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:58 PM

Answers

• This is now working. 

If you haven't changed any code in the meantime this may have something to do with logging in.

This time I went to the forum and clicked on the message while still not logged in.

The message wouldn't open just as before. I.e. I had the framework of the page indicating that message thread in the breadcrumbs but not message opened.

I then logged in.

When that went through the message would open.

(This is being written on the Mac using Safari in the same session)

Note that the difference to before is that before I logged in while at the forum level and *then* tried to open a message.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:00 PM

All replies

• I just popped open Safari on a PC and looked at this thread and it loaded up fine. Do you think you could snag a screen shot for us?
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, July 25, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I did say on a Mac ....

Off to open the Mac ...

(as of course I can't be using that otherwise I couldn't post !!!)
    Friday, July 25, 2008 5:41 PM
  • See if you can access it from here

http://wss.asaris.de/sites/walsh/For%20Forum%20JPG/Snapshot%202008-07-25%2020-46-41.jpg

If not I'll e-mail it to you if I can have an address (or via Jeremy Kelley as I have his address).
    Friday, July 25, 2008 5:59 PM
  • yup, that's perfectly visible... thanks
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Do you get any Javascript errors as well? If so, that might help us track it down...

Thanks
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Nothing visible.  (My Mac "skills" are sadly lacking so I wouldn't know where to look if these errors are not visible!)

(Did you notice I said it had worked fine in the Mac the day before ?)

P.S. I now see that I only sent you the link to the image. I'd written down the Safari version in use too but forgotten to write it in that message.

Safari/Mac version 3.1.2 (4522.22)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:08 AM
  • This is now working. 

If you haven't changed any code in the meantime this may have something to do with logging in.

This time I went to the forum and clicked on the message while still not logged in.

The message wouldn't open just as before. I.e. I had the framework of the page indicating that message thread in the breadcrumbs but not message opened.

I then logged in.

When that went through the message would open.

(This is being written on the Mac using Safari in the same session)

Note that the difference to before is that before I logged in while at the forum level and *then* tried to open a message.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:00 PM
  • The last site change was on Thursday.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:15 PM