WHS 2011 Beta upgrade to released WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using the Beta version of VAIL and now wish to upgrade to the released version.  I purchased the the OEM System Builder Pack and tried to do the upgrade from BETA.

This only allows a new installation, which formats all of my drives.  What is the proper procedure to use to do this upgrade and retain all of my data?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• There is no upgrade path from beta to RTM bits. You aren't supposed to commit important, irreplaceable data to a beta (you agreed not to when you installed the beta) so Microsoft isn't very concerned about data loss in your scenario. Assuming your beta is a version without DE, though, you can:

• Disconnect all current drives.
    • Add a drive (2 TB drives are getting ridiculously cheap) and connect it as your system drive.
    • Install the RTM versions.
    • Connect one drive and copy the data out of the no longer shared folders to the shares.
    • Wipe the drive you just copied everything from and add it to server storage.
    • Move some shares around.
    • Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

There are lots of alternative courses of action; since the drives are formatted with NTFS almost any variant on copying files is available to you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:19 PM
  • This only allows a new installation, which formats all of my drives.  What is the proper procedure to use to do this upgrade and retain all of my data?

A new installation should only format your primary drive. If you don't have data on it already you should be fine installing afresh (with your other drives disconnected for safety). That may save you having to buy another drive. You can get your data back with a variation of the following:

In your existing installation move all shared folders to the main data drive (off the system drive).
        Shut down and remove connections to main drive and do a fresh WHS2011 install on the system disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect the main drive. Boot and rename all Server Folders on main drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Run the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E:
        Log in locally and move files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and delete the NameOld folders.

This worked for me when moving from RC to full WHS2011 and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:01 PM