Improve remote access by using IIS compression - Any more tips? RRS feed

All replies

• Not a bad idea. Not supported, but not a bad idea. :)

If someone should decide to implement this, I would recommend caution in Remote Desktop for the usual reason: there are tools available in RD that can cause severe issues with your server. More than usual caution is called for here, as Internet Information Services Manager is one of those tools.

And realize that one of the main purposes of the Remote Access web site is to be able to reach the files in your shares from afar. When you use the remote access web site that way, it already compresses multiple files (or folders) for transmission. So this won't help as much as you might think.

Finally, you will need to designate a location for the temporary files compression creates. I would recommend a folder on the server's D: partition, but outside the folders created and used by WHS. the default size of this directory will be pretty small (I think 100 MB), but it should still probably not go on your C: drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

It's a common method of speeding up serving by a busy server. However, there are a couple of possible drawbacks for some servers:
    It can be CPU intensive for slower processors and this can have detrimental effects when WHS is also trying to do other tasks.
    There is also a known problem with IE6 and IIS compression; there is a fix, but unknowing users might well just see a blank page.
    When using this to server ASP.NET pages, quite a few people have found that this needs to be implemented in a specific order for it to work correctly.

However, not trying to 'rain on your parade' as I'm sure the majority of people who frequent these forums will benefit from your post and it also points out the possibilities that a home server has, thanks.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:49 PM