General question about media on Vail and libraries RRS feed

• Question

• So I have finally gotten the Refresh version of Vail installed, finally gotten web access working (figured out to configure my non-UPNP router to play nice), and everything seems all good to go. One problem I am seeing is that so far nothing I am putting in my server folders is showing up in the Media Library under the Remote Web Access even though I've tried rebooting, switching media sharing off and back on, etc. - but I guess from what I've read on the forum it just takes a long time for those things to update - as in, days.

My question is this - is there any general guideline to how media should be used on the server? Obviously the server is set up with individual mapped areas for each type of media, but I note that the system also has its own library folders for the same types - are those linked in any way? And when you throw in the Homegroup sharing, it starts to get confusing as to what should go where and why - if I want to have a music file (for example) available for Remote Web Access should it just go in the mapped server folder? Will that update into a media library immediately? What's the purpose of the server-specific media folders (under "Library")? Will those show up in a media library?

What I am really looking for is a comprehensive overview of how media will work on Vail - I've read release notes, browsed forums, and hit the help site but there doesn't seem to be a real solid overview of how to make it all work, but rather a bunch of small questions being addressed, not all of which deal with the kind of info I am looking for...

Friday, September 17, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• Are you sure you're using supported media formats?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 17, 2010 6:41 PM
  • For the most part, they are all linked/same.  I rip and manage most of my files on my gaming rig.  I use Homegroup to easily copy paste the files I want to send to the server. I'm trying to train my wife to use same said files to save here stuff instead of having files scattered over multiple computers filed god nows where.

Once I place a MP3 file in the Music folder via Homegroup, it should show up in the Media Library as it's accessing the same folder.  Shouldn't take that long to become available, certainly not days, less than a minute I'd say.

I hear what you are saying though, they basically give you multiple ways to access the same data.

Just installed new Vail today, setup my Remote access, and files were become available the second they were being transferred over, I was slamming the server hard to.

Friday, September 17, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Ken,

I have mp3 files in my music directory, .mov and .mp4 files in my videos directory, and .jpg files in my pictures directory. I believe all those are supported - and yet, not a single one is showing up in my library (though I can see the files if I look in the "shared folder" link on the remote access page). They won't move into my Media Library...are there any steps required to get them into the media library beyond putting the files in the appropriate directory and making sure that media streaming is on?

Sean

Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:55 PM