none
Forum UX issues RRS feed

• Question

• Posting in Chrome as I can't type a title in the title box using IE9 is the first issue of the morning.  Don't know what's up with that.

Ed suggested opening new threads on specific UX issues.

"However the new look offers much less clear markings for a thread that has been marked as answered; for a thread that has been proposed as answered; for a thread that has been given a type of Discussion rather than Question and so on. All of which equally make moderating unnecessarily difficult.

(and as for the decision to make the Bold (on the number or posts/times read) - for a thread that has had new posts since you last looked at it - only visible on cursor over, well it seems that nobody really thought about how people use that function before making that change)"

(source Mike Walsh - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/reportabug/thread/917c6efe-e5f6-47b7-8ed7-ad1f0072c115)

Ask a question buttong now harder to see - on the far right side on a large screen monitor and the orange color is normally reserved for RSS feed indicators. (source me - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/reportabug/thread/7d73e9ff-bd86-4a6f-8bd6-ef8812f349ba)

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Thanks Susan, this really helps.  The bold/non bold issue is something near the top of the list. We'll triage the others as well. Re: the Ask a Question button, the change was made more for the general user. It's great to get the feedback from the power users (yourself and others) but the big orange presense should be more obvious to someone that hasn't been trained to look for it, at least this is our goal. Thanks for your feedback, if you have other concerns you haven't already noted, please let us know.

Community Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Thanks Susan, this really helps.  The bold/non bold issue is something near the top of the list. We'll triage the others as well. Re: the Ask a Question button, the change was made more for the general user. It's great to get the feedback from the power users (yourself and others) but the big orange presense should be more obvious to someone that hasn't been trained to look for it, at least this is our goal. Thanks for your feedback, if you have other concerns you haven't already noted, please let us know.

Community Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:03 PM
    Answerer
  • On a wide screen monitor it's sooooo far on the right hand side.  Can it float more?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:06 PM
  • I orginally thought the bread crumbs at the top had been removed, until I found them in a tiny font. I use them occasionally.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:37 PM
  • >Thanks Susan, this really helps.  The bold/non bold issue is something near the top of the list.

Thanks to Susan for quoting me.

I'm sure too that she understood exactly what I was talking about, but that reply (bold/non bold) quoted above makes me wonder if Brent thinks I'm refering to a different issue.

To be clear:

Issue 1: Bold for completely new threads. Present in MSDN forums; vanished from TechNet forums. Essential for moderating because most (?) moderators look at threads they have not seen before. (Well I do)

Issue 2: Bold for threads the user/moderator has already read. This is what I meant in the quoted text. The bold on the numbers (number of replies/number of times read) indicates that there is a new post in the thread since the last time the user/moderator looked at the thread. Clearly this indicates at a glance threads that are worth looking at because changes have happened to them since the user/moderator looked at the thread last time. Clearly too the bold on these threads needs to be visible when you look at the list of threads and not as now only when you do cursor over.

As Susan wrote elsewhere people who actually use the forums should have been consulted on these changes.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:54 PM
  • I'm mostly in the TechNet forums. It was easier to be active in many newsgroups before the forums. The old newsgroups had these useful features (as far as I can remember):

1. Any thread with an unread reply was bold.
    2. Any thread I marked as "watched" was red.
    3. A red bold thread was one I should look at first.
    4. In the list of newgroups, if there were any unread replies, the group name was bold.
    5. In the list of newsgroups, if there were any threads I was watching, the name was red.
    6. Any newsgroup name in bold red was one I should check immediately.
    7. Any newsgroup with name in bold black had new activity I should check out.

This made it easy for me to be active, or at least monitor, a dozen newsgroups. When I switched to the forums I could only monitor about 4.

Now that I moderate, it is important for me to be able to distinguish between threads with proposed answers vs. those with marked answers. However, the filters work for me.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:53 PM
  • When I switched to the forums I could only monitor about 4.

Did you try using an NNTP bridge (with whatever newsreader whose features you liked)?

---

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:01 AM