How to make Music Styles for Song Smith??? (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• magicmermaid posted on 09-02-2009 2:33 PM

Does anyone know how to make custom music paks/styles for songmith?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• terry redfearn replied on 05-05-2011 4:35 PM

!st i would like to thank bob norton your stlye packs are working good on playback back mode with songsmith; quetsion to all microsft songsmith users or experts; how do i get songsmith to let me hear the music as i am singing with; i cna hear music after i sing it on playback ; all i hear is the drum count beat when i sing; would like to hear th emusic when singing like professional singer steve perry does; thanks terry redfearn

All replies

• dmorris replied on 09-21-2009 11:50 PM

The style engine used by Songsmith is licensed from PG Music, makers of "Band in a Box".  The only way we know of to edit styles is to use Band in a Box.

There are also quite a few styles available for purchase from PG Music:

http://www.pgmusic.com/

...and a couple of other third-party vendors, like Norton Music:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/

PG Music even has some style packs they put together specifically for Songsmith users:

http://www.pgmusic.com/songsmith.htm

...but any other Band in a Box styles should work in Songsmith.

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

• Notes_Norton replied on 03-28-2011 10:00 AM

Dan is correct. You must own Band-in-a-Box to make styles.

To make decent styles you should have

1. A MIDI input device (MIDI enabled keyboard, guitar, wind synth, etc)
    2. A MIDI sequencer so you can import the snippets of music into BiaB
    3. Some music theory and arranging skills

I've made a number of styles for BiaB, and have been doing it since the early 1990s.You can listen to most of them on my style demo page

The StyleMaker is a wonderful tool, although it does have it's quirks. The best way to learn to make styles is first to watch the BiaB tutorial, and then experiment, starting with simple styles and then working to more complex styles as you progress.

Notes ♫ Norton

• terry redfearn replied on 04-04-2011 1:46 PM

need help from any1 that has used microsoft songsmith; every time i try to make a new song no matter what stlye pak song i use i keep getting a distored amp sound like used by acid rock group players totally ruins the format with the song ; doesnt show up on preview of song stlye paks only after recording ; have tried changing instruments to no prevail; is it my inboard microphone on my dell laptop or is it another issue; unless i can rid myself of this problem i will have to buy band in the box or another system to try to make music it sing to thnks your help is appreciated terry redfearn

• terry redfearn replied on 05-05-2011 4:35 PM

!st i would like to thank bob norton your stlye packs are working good on playback back mode with songsmith; quetsion to all microsft songsmith users or experts; how do i get songsmith to let me hear the music as i am singing with; i cna hear music after i sing it on playback ; all i hear is the drum count beat when i sing; would like to hear th emusic when singing like professional singer steve perry does; thanks terry redfearn