Connector Workaround for Vista 32 RRS feed

• General discussion

• After countless hours of experimenting and failed setups, I believe I have come up with a temporary workaround for failed connector installs on Vista 32. I don't know if it will work for Vista 64.

First my setup: 2 XP Pro SP3 laptops 1 XP Home SP3 desktop and 1 Vista Home Premium SP1 desktop. All of the XP machines have the upgraded version of Connector (version 1800). The Vista install of Connector failes every time no matter how you try to install it at the point of running Discovery.exe.

The workaround: Don't try to run the upgrade from the WHS website in Connector. First, copy the Discovery.exe file that is already installed. It will be version 1500. Save it somewhere on your Vista machine such as the My Documents folder. Next run the setup.exe file in the WHS software folder on the server itself. Let it fail at the point of discovery. It WILL install the upgraded version of Connector. When the dialog box comes up and says the install failed I clicked on the red X in the upper corner instead of clicking Finish. That should keep it from backing out the changes I think. Now if you run Connector the tray icon will probably be grayed out and when you log onto the WHS console it won't show you as online. Here's where that copy of Discovery.exe comes in. Take the version 1500 copy of Discovery that you saved earlier and paste it into the program files folder for WHS (typically C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\) Now run Discovery.exe manually. WHS console should now show you as online.

You'll have to manually run Discovery.exe every time you restart Connector but at least now you will be upgraded in every other way.

If anyone knows how I can get this info to Microsoft so they can fix Discovery.exe version 1800 to work with Vista please let me know. I'm sure alot of people would like at least this probelm fixed.

Matt

Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:30 PM

All replies

•  techone777 wrote:
    After countless hours of experimenting and failed setups, I believe I have come up with a temporary workaround for failed connector installs on Vista 32. I don't know if it will work for Vista 64.

First my setup: 2 XP Pro SP3 laptops 1 XP Home SP3 desktop and 1 Vista Home Premium SP1 desktop. All of the XP machines have the upgraded version of Connector (version 1800). The Vista install of Connector failes every time no matter how you try to install it at the point of running Discovery.exe.

The workaround: Don't try to run the upgrade from the WHS website in Connector. First, copy the Discovery.exe file that is already installed. It will be version 1500. Save it somewhere on your Vista machine such as the My Documents folder. Next run the setup.exe file in the WHS software folder on the server itself. Let it fail at the point of discovery. It WILL install the upgraded version of Connector. When the dialog box comes up and says the install failed I clicked on the red X in the upper corner instead of clicking Finish. That should keep it from backing out the changes I think. Now if you run Connector the tray icon will probably be grayed out and when you log onto the WHS console it won't show you as online. Here's where that copy of Discovery.exe comes in. Take the version 1500 copy of Discovery that you saved earlier and paste it into the program files folder for WHS (typically C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\) Now run Discovery.exe manually. WHS console should now show you as online.

You'll have to manually run Discovery.exe every time you restart Connector but at least now you will be upgraded in every other way.

If anyone knows how I can get this info to Microsoft so they can fix Discovery.exe version 1800 to work with Vista please let me know. I'm sure alot of people would like at least this probelm fixed.

Matt

I would recommend you file a bug report on Connect.  I for one had no problems upgrading 2 Vista 32-bit machines.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:59 PM
  • As you can see in another thread I have the same problem, I do not belive this is a single isolated problem, there IS something wrong with discovery.exe or some dll it loads.

I was going to try your workaround by restoring the old version of discovery.exe from backup only to find out that whsconsole now can not "find file square-box-square-box-accented-letter-C". Tried running the console a couple of 5-6 times and finally it started.

When I actually got console to start and select a backup and press open I get "can not connect to backup service, verify that all services are running". (they are, I tried restarting all WHS services but finally rebooted server). I now also have a brand new entry in event log:

Server backup failed.  The list of folders on the server could not be retrieved from the Windows Home Server Storage Manager service.  Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
       at qsmif.QSMClass.QueryObjects(QSM_OBJECT_TYPE eWhichObject)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.ShareManager.GetShares()

I opened the backup of my Vista client from a XP PC and copied discovery.exe. It executes fine and computer shows up as online, I can mount backups. Thanks for the tip, I hope M$ browse these forums because Connect is for reporting bugs in beta versions -- this is RTM.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 3:10 AM
  •  sudda wrote:
    As you can see in another thread I have the same problem, I do not belive this is a single isolated problem, there IS something wrong with discovery.exe or some dll it loads.

I was going to try your workaround by restoring the old version of discovery.exe from backup only to find out that whsconsole now can not "find file square-box-square-box-accented-letter-C". Tried running the console a couple of 5-6 times and finally it started.

When I actually got console to start and select a backup and press open I get "can not connect to backup service, verify that all services are running". (they are, I tried restarting all WHS services but finally rebooted server). I now also have a brand new entry in event log:

Server backup failed.  The list of folders on the server could not be retrieved from the Windows Home Server Storage Manager service.  Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
       at qsmif.QSMClass.QueryObjects(QSM_OBJECT_TYPE eWhichObject)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.ShareManager.GetShares()

I opened the backup of my Vista client from a XP PC and copied discovery.exe. It executes fine and computer shows up as online, I can mount backups. Thanks for the tip, I hope M$ browse these forums because Connect is for reporting bugs in beta versions -- this is RTM.

I would still file a bug report (RTM or not).  The bug report form is still available on the website.  Just note in your report that you are having this problem with build 1800 (RTM).

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:17 AM
  • I installed the new connector on 1 Vista Business laptop and 1 Vista Ultimate Desktop with no issues at all.

It sure would be interesting to find out what is causing yours to fail!

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I too had the problem that you described, but found a different way to work around the problem.  Essentially after the discovery portion of the setup fails, modify it to run in compatibility mode for windows 98.  I agree that MS needs to look at the steps and either fix the discovery or add this to the instructions for getting the connector to install.  See steps below:

1) Browse to the \\<Server Name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software\
    2) Run 'Setup' as administrator
    3) After the installation fails, close the program
    4) Browse to the local Windows Home Server Directory, usually C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\
    5) Select 'Discovery', Right Click, select copy; Create short-cut on desktop
    6) On the newly created short-cut, right click, select properties.
    7) Select the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', then select Windows 98 / Windows Me
    8) Click OK and run the short cut as administrator.
    9) Follow instructions as normal and the connector should finish the configuration stage.
    10) Congratulations, you have now got a Microsoft Undiscovered Feature working (Bug)

K Rock

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  techone777 wrote:

After countless hours of experimenting and failed setups, I believe I have come up with a temporary workaround for failed connector installs on Vista 32. I don't know if it will work for Vista 64.

Matt

Hello,

What chipset is this machine as in what storage controller do you have? There are known problems with the NVIDIA storage controller that can be corrected if the user upgrades to the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  Lara Jones [MS] wrote:

Hello,

What chipset is this machine as in what storage controller do you have? There are known problems with the NVIDIA storage controller that can be corrected if the user upgrades to the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

HI Lara,

I tried that, but maybe I tried using the wrong driver.  Which driver have you had success with?

Thanks,

K Rock

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:26 PM