Failing full client restore (CD or USB key), RestoreCDInit.exe - Application Error, 0xc0000025 at location 0xff43b477 RRS feed

• Question

• Over here,
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/smallbusinessserver2011essentials/thread/b5d1eb09-a024-4202-8c95-c6754581464c?prof=required

you'll find a description of my issue, re-capped below.

Any ideas?

-------------

Here's the exact error message:

RestoreCDInit.exe - Application Error
    The exception Cannot Continue
    Windows cannot continue from this exception.
    (0xc0000025) occured in the application at location 0xff43b477.
    Click on OK to terminate the program

Using USB key created from the server itself from the Dashboard, Computers and backup tab, selecting "additional client computer backup tasks", "tools" and then creating a recover USB key.

Same error for the PC restore CDs made from:
    en_client_restore_disc_windows_storage_server_2008_r2_essentials_x86_x64_cd_658474.iso
    or
    en_client_restore_disc_windows_home_server_2011_x86_x64_cd_658475.iso 

The system with the issue is a ThinkPad W520, with the BIOS 1.30 at factory defaults (AHCI SATA internal drive).  This same boot media works fine on other systems in my home. 

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies

• Update BIOS?
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Try disabling the wifi adapter - maybe the restore CD is getting confused by seeing two NICs?

qts
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Same error with me, mine is a desktop pc - no wifi and latest BIOS.  Interestingly though i have AHCI configured SSD and ive noticed other people also AHCI configured disks.......wondering if there is a connection.  Will continue hunting and i currently have no HTPC with backups that are useless.
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Cracked it.  I found it to be boot related.  I tested the USB stick in another PC and it worked perfectly.  When i boot from USB pen im given 2 options.

1 is USB...<my usb pen name>

2 is UEFI USB <my usb pen name>

Booting from UEFI fixed the problem and the program ran ok.  Loaded my NIC drivers and hey presto the restore kicked off.

Very strange but at least its a solution.  Hope it helps everybody out there.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by richsmif Monday, October 10, 2011 2:24 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:39 AM
  • This thread was about the only solution that came up when I ran into this problem this morning restoring after an SSD upgrade.  Hopefully someone else might find it helpful.

The USB drive I had worked fine on 3 other machines, but not this new desktop (ASUS motherboard, Z68 chipset).  I tried the UEFI and normal USB boot modes, same error on both.  Only way I could get it to restore was to download and and burn a CD with the restore ISO.  Booting from that CD worked fine, no errors.

So it looks like there is some problem between UEFI USB booting and the WHS restore software...Or maybe it's just this particular motherboard or BIOS?  (it's a brand new board, and there's no newer BIOS available)

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't support UEFI boot computers. (It's in the documentation...)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Same exact error with me.

I have AHCI configured SSD as OS disk but have used the USB restore twice in the last month with no problem to restore until now.

NOTES:

• I needed to use my USB restore because my BIOS did not see the SSD (Vertex ll 240GB) which has been working faultlessly for 6 Months.
    • The USB restore gave me the error as reported above "exactly" with the same hex addresses.
    • When I restarted using 32 bit instead of 64 bit it worked and I restored my boot drive to an old Maxtor HHD.
    • When I made a new USB restore using a new USB using the tools on the server and tried it, I got the exact same error.
    • When I used the original USB in a different Computer, it worked fine in 64bit mode
    • I then removed the SSD, looked at it on a USB cradle, it was fine, replaced it and it booted?

Something going on but I don't know what, suspect it must something that has been loaded recently!!!!!!!!!

Mine is 3 year old asus MB so no UEFI involved.

Have since tried the CD and boots straight into both 32 and 64 WHS restore

Peter R Ferguson

• Edited by Poppapete Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:03 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Bump this.  I have tried everything mentioned in this thread, and nothing works.  This is a seriously bad problem.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 12:50 AM
  • OK, so here is the fix I am trying.  I have a friend with an older PC.  I pulled his HDD and put mine in.  I am restoring my system using the old PC, and I will put the HDD back in the new PC when the restore is done.

I hope that works, but seriously, this is such a serious flaw, MS should have to disclose it on the software's box that "this product will not allow system restores for many newer PCs."  Anything less smells like a lawsuit to me.

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Sorry for the tardy reply.  Yes, putting the HDD into an older PC worked just fine on the first try.  The problem is definitely that MS does not support UEFI PCs, which is an extremely serious flaw/bug in the software.

Frankly, I can't image how MS can get away with selling this product, to me this is a strong indication that WHS is dead.

Friday, July 6, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Not a bug if it's stated in the documentation as mentioned by Ken above. UEFI was not available when WHS2011 was built (it's based on Server 2008 R2 code).

Yes, WHS is indeed dead as announced by Microsoft regarding Server 2012

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, July 6, 2012 6:10 PM
  • I'm having this problem. Although my motherboard supports UEFI, my disk was not formatted in UEFI. I tried on my laptop to make things easier, and I still cannot restore the system reserved partition. The C will restore correctly but the system reserve crashes. out with the 0xc0000025.

I've called microsoft tried to open a paid case 8 hours of routing and finally getting to the setup team on the pro side and they shuned me away.

I've tried installing the UEFI hotfix for shits and giggles but it didn't help either. I don't know what else to try. 

This is ABSOLUTE crap! Microsoft needs to get up and stand behind their product, I got nothing but the runaround for hours. Seriously horrible experiance, especially since none of them were understandable because I got the Philippine's and india which meant I was connected though some shitty voip system where I couldn't hear them let alone understand them though the thick accent. 

Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Found this thread while battling the same issue trying to restore a H61 chipset for an SSD update.

The following workaround is posted in case it helps someone else, not a fix though.

I knew I'd previously restored this unit without issue, other than network drivers (Win7 64bit required)

I was booting from DVD with a samsung USB DVDRW model SE-208 and the error 0xc0000025 occurred every time, after exhausting any BIOS settings I could find I swapped the Samsung for an external 5.25 caddy circa early 2000 with a 2004 IDE LG DVDRW.

From the old LG it boots the restore disk first time every time irrespective of bios settings, it took me a couple of attempts to complete the install as I used the Win8 network driver in error.

I'm not sure what the difference in interface is, but this may help you if you have an alternative boot device.

Good luck

Steve

Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Addes USB 3 drivers to the sources/boot.wim file using these instructions

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749350(v=ws.10).aspx

USB key booted normally

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Good hint.  I popped my usb drive into a usb 2.0 instead, and up it came (booted as non-uefiusb).  No issue.  When I tried to boot from a usb 3 slot (both as uefi and non uefi), I got the error.

Update:  Just to summarize, I backed-up and restored a UEFI/GPT PC using Windows homeserver 2011.  I had the server hotfix. I restored to another UEFI/GPT PC so as not to destroy my existing system. I had to boot my restore usb in a usb 2.0 slot as the 3.0 slot gave an error. I had to boot my restore usb as uefi. I had to format the receiving disk as GPT during the restore.  Auto restore failed but successfully created the needed partitions where I then restored just the OS volume.  I had to fix booting at the cmd line (i.e. bootrec /fixboot & bcdboot ...) as the windows 10 automatic boot fix failed.  So, windows home server 2011 does, in fact, backup and restore UEFI/GPT. 
    • Edited by EcurbNosneb Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Addes USB 3 drivers to the sources/boot.wim file using these instructions

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749350(v=ws.10).aspx

USB key booted normally

A much easier way: Use NTLite https://www.ntlite.com/ to add the drivers to the USB Stick you created with the Restore Wizzard. Done within 10 mins.

I tried the Microsoft way with ImageX, but you have to download 1,6GB, install the package to get a tiny .exe. Then you need dism to compile the file. As I had only limited space on my HDD of my working PC left, it was not the best solution. I strongly recomment NTLite.

• Proposed as answer by MarcRower Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Good hint.  I popped my usb drive into a usb 2.0 instead, and up it came (booted as non-uefiusb).  No issue.  When I tried to boot from a usb 3 slot (both as uefi and non uefi), I got the error.

Update:  Just to summarize, I backed-up and restored a UEFI/GPT PC using Windows homeserver 2011.  I had the server hotfix. I restored to another UEFI/GPT PC so as not to destroy my existing system. I had to boot my restore usb in a usb 2.0 slot as the 3.0 slot gave an error. I had to boot my restore usb as uefi. I had to format the receiving disk as GPT during the restore.  Auto restore failed but successfully created the needed partitions where I then restored just the OS volume.  I had to fix booting at the cmd line (i.e. bootrec /fixboot & bcdboot ...) as the windows 10 automatic boot fix failed.  So, windows home server 2011 does, in fact, backup and restore UEFI/GPT. 

Hi, I have the same situation: Backup of on UEFI PC to WHS 2011. I was able to restore all data and partitions, but when I try to start the PC I get the message that I have to do a repair.

I use your summary to ask my questions for more details:

1. I backed-up and restored a UEFI/GPT PC using Windows homeserver 2011. -> Check
    2. I had the server hotfix. -> Check
    3. I restored to another UEFI/GPT PC so as not to destroy my existing system. -> Check, I used the old hardware with a new SSD
    4. I had to boot my restore usb in a usb 2.0 slot as the 3.0 slot gave an error. -> I added the USB 3.0 drivers to my WIM using NTLite
    5. I had to boot my restore usb as uefi. -> Check
    6. I had to format the receiving disk as GPT during the restore.   -> Where and how did you format the disk? With the advanced settings where you set up the partitions?
    7. Auto restore failed but successfully created the needed partitions where I then restored just the OS volume.  -> Same in my case
    8. I had to fix booting at the cmd line (i.e. bootrec /fixboot & bcdboot ...) as the windows 10 automatic boot fix failed.   -> How did you do this? I tried several bootrec /fixboot, bcdboot restore, etc., but without success.
    9. So, windows home server 2011 does, in fact, backup and restore UEFI/GPT. -> Hope you or someone else can help me with this.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:09 PM
  • See : WHS 2011 : Bare Metal Restore of a Windows 10 UEFI/GPT pc : https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/50b13d6e-a43b-4478-ac42-30ec75f16702/whs-2011-bare-metal-restore-of-a-windows-10-uefigpt-pc?forum=whs2011
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 9:46 PM