MSCRM 4.0 client- Urgent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am a developer and need to create a development environment on my Laptop which will be client to MSCRM 4.0 server. PLease tell me recommended configuration and environmnet to achieve the same.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:26 AM

Answers

• I get that too Donna.
    Karan  if your working with a Dynamics VAR get some more resources on this.  If your thinking about working on production please take our advise and get a decent dev and test environment.  

Donna is right.  Follow the best practices.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:41 PM

All replies

• Karan,

Does your development environment need to be self contained (See option 1 below-Client/SQL/CRM Web etc) or are you looking to connect from a development environemtn to an external CRM Server (See Option 2)?
    Option1: If you want to get a self contained development environment there is the Microsoft Demonstration Virtual Machine covering CRM (if you are a Microsoft Partner), or you can follow the following blog which goes theough the steps required: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee294457.aspx to set up your own environment.
    Option 2: If you need a Dev environment that hits your external CRM server, just go to the external CRM site on the Dev browser, and/or install the MS Outlook Client on the Dev machine.
    I have a notebook and use a Virtual machine to produce by Dev/Demo environment.  It's not a super fast machine so I need to make certain I've started it way before I go to do anything so it has time to crank up.
    Regards
    Graham Hill
    Metisc
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hi,,
    thanks for quick reply

I have an existing MSCRM 4 server at my location. I want to add a laptop machine as a client to it for development purpose. Kindly let me know the hardware requirment and softwares necessary to connect to that CRM sever
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Karan,

The requirement would be driven by the development tools you are using (check out the vendors recommendations at their website).  As fast a CPU/HardDisk and as much memory as you can afford comes to mind.  CRM itself doesn't require a lot of PC resources from a client perspective.
    Regards
    Graham Hill
    Metisc
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:03 AM
  • ok..

My another question is ..
    can i use sql client for data migration manager tool
    or i need SQL server only for this purpose.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Kara,
    We had lots of problems with DMM so we wrote our own import tool. Sorry I can't help you there.
    Regards
    Graham Hill
    Metisc
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:47 AM
  • Karan, it would also be good to alert you to the need for downloading the CRM Rollups for the client machine, and the server.

I'm not sure what your project is about but let's also reinterate that you should take a look at the SDK and do things the CRM way.

Working around them will not do your client justice.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I am a bit confused about what you are trying to do.  It sounds like you are trying to create a development environment yet connect to the production machine?  Generally, when people create a development environment, they install CRM and SQL on a development machine like your laptop, take a backup of the SQL production database, restore the production db to SQL and then use the CRM Deployement Manager on the Development box to import the Organization giving it a CRMTest or CRMDev name. 

There are many articles regarding best practices for this type of scenario.  Here is one to get started. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:11 PM
  • I get that too Donna.
    Karan  if your working with a Dynamics VAR get some more resources on this.  If your thinking about working on production please take our advise and get a decent dev and test environment.  

Donna is right.  Follow the best practices.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:41 PM