none
Listening to items move between folders outlook add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a outlook web add-in. 

I want to listen to the items moving between folders event(for example, when item1 move from inbox to spam or vice versa).

When such event occurs I want to run some logic.

I know how to achieve this in VSTO template via events like`itemAdd` `beforeItemMove` `folderChange`.

But I do not know How to achieve this in outlook web add-in. Is it even possible?

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Outlook web add-ins are run in the context of a particular item and be able to make calls to Outlook REST API (or EWS). See Outlook Push Notifications REST API reference for more information. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:28 PM
  • I suppose that is a yes? I am going to have a look at the REST API now but this is my first time doing Outlook related development, so I am really confused...
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:20 PM
  • Web-based add-ins don't have access to the rich Outlook object model like COM add-ins do. So, all what you can do is to make REST API calls.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:27 PM
  • Thanks, one thing I am still not sure. The doc says "The data can be in the user's mail, calendar, contact, or task data secured by Azure Active Directory in Office 365, or in Microsoft accounts specifically in these domains: Hotmail.com, Live.com, MSN.com, Outlook.com, and Passport.com.

So right now I want my add-in installed in outlook 2010 onwards(outlook client), but the api only applies to outlook.com. Is outlook.com the same as outlook 2010? Are they sharing the same data? I know little about the ecosystem...

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Hello Frostless,

It seems you are developing an Office Add-in and according to the top stick thread on the forum,Post Outlook Add-ins questions to StackOverflow., I would suggest you post your issue to StackOverflow and for the current thread, I will move it to Off-Topic  forum.

If you do need use Rest API to achieve your work, I would suggest you post your issue on Office 365 for Developers which is for discussing issue related to 0365 Rest API.

Thanks for understanding,

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 22, 2018 9:42 AM