very long console login time, hard drive thrashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I've installed WHS twice and have had the same problem both times.  I install WHS, drivers, Windows Updates, AV software, configuring shares, etc, with all the typical reboots that go along with it.  No problems.  Then, all the sudden at the next boot it will take over an hour to login to the console and get the desktop.  The hard drive will thrash the hole time during this period.  While at the login screen, the HDD is quiet (after a few seconds), as expected.  I've rebooted many times prior to this happening w/o a problem.  Once in a while it will login normally.  Event viewer doesn't really give any clues.  I've tested the HDD, no probs there.

I've configured Windows Media Services, but that is about the only thing that is special (I can get to and use this service from my PC OK right after boot when the console is at the login screen).  I've stopped the web site services for the moment (so I can use port 80 for WMS).  I've tried turning off services and uninstalled stuff, but nothing seems to make a difference.

After I get the desktop, things seem normal.  I can logout, login and there it goes again - another hour of thrashing!  It will sometimes do it if I start Windows Media Player (on Guide page).  One time it happened when I opened an XML file in IE.

Anyone else heard of this or know what to look at?

UPDATE 2:  I reinstalled the OS.  Everything was fine until I installed (7) Windows updates!  It was the first 7 of 55.  It included the monthly scan tool, IE security fixes and a few OS security fixes.  I never plugged in my external drive.  What does that tell us??

UPDATE 1:  Seems to be associated with my external USB hard drive.  If I plug it in then everything is fine.  It is not being used for data storage in WHS.

Thanks,
    Justin

• Edited by JustinRay Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:16 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:17 AM

Answers

• I discovered the problem is with the sound system.  If I enable either the Win audio service or the audio driver, I get have this problem.  Now I just have to figure out how to fix it...

Justin
    • Marked as answer by JustinRay Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:47 AM

All replies

• What AV software? Have you tried without?

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:18 AM
  • I am using Trend Micro OfficeScan 7.3.  I have uninstalled and it makes no difference.  However, the problem seems to be associated with my external USB hard drive.  If I plug it in then everything is fine.  How can this be?  The drive is not being used for data storage in WHS (just for transferring files).

Justin
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:12 PM
  • I discovered the problem is with the sound system.  If I enable either the Win audio service or the audio driver, I get have this problem.  Now I just have to figure out how to fix it...

Justin
    • Marked as answer by JustinRay Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:47 AM
  • On your server? Don't bother. Windows Home Server is not designed to be used as a media player.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:52 PM