Can't reinstall OneCare - error 0020-80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me, because I have tried to log this issue on the Help site several times and each time an error occurs when the service request is being created...

OneCare was running fine until this morning, when I received a Red status and a message that said OneCare could not install a critical update.  After trying to figure out what to do, I eventually uninstalled OneCare from the Control Panel.  When I tried to reinstall, I got error 0020-80070643.  I traced this down at the Help site and found that this error occurs when you try to install OneCare and you already have Windows Defender installed.  I had never installed Windows Defender, but I checked my installed programs to make sure.  It was not there.  The Help site said that I should run some command line routines to manually uninstall Windows Defender via the "Run" option.  I tried this, but each time I got a message saying that "This action is only valid for programs that are currently installed."

I'm not sure what to try next.  At the moment I have no virus or firewall protection.  I am running XP Pro, SP2, with all the recent updates.

A response to how to get OneCare reinstalled would be greatly appreciated.  Also, is there a telephone tech support number for OneCare??

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try the details here, particularly the cleanup utility since this is a reinstall:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930162

If you can't reach support per the FAQ instructions http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2, drop me an email at sboots@mvps.org with "OneCare" in the subject line and a link to this thread in the message body.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:40 PM

• Well. I can tell you this...

It is now MAY 10th and I am having exactly the same problem on a Vista 64-bit system!  Deep into the process of tryng to fix the red flagged OneCare necessary update which will not install, you finally (after a LOT of digging and probing) find that MS's own Windows Defender software is the problem (one of the problems).

Doesn't it just warm your heart and inspire confidence to find that zero progress has been made on this?

It is all the more PATHETIC since the imbeciles warn you to remove "third party" malware and antivirus utils before the OneCare Install, but not a word about removing THEIR software which, I believe, installs as part of the Vista install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I think I can speak for the thousands (at least) of other affecred victims of Microsoft.

Thank you.

Schminux

Footnote:  I am constanly amused by the number of people who have the mistaken idea that Bill Gates is bright.  Bright people hire competent indiviiduals, foster professional growth, and if necessary (and,YES,BIll... in your case it is VERY necessary)... fire the incompetents!!!!!

Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:56 PM
  • What required update will not install? If OneCare is trying to update itself and has been working successfully up until now, I recommend uninstalling OneCare and reinstalling it. Use the cleanup tool between these steps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Make sure that you know the Subscription LiveID from Help/About in OneCare to activate/subscribe after the reinstall.

Note that Defender should not pose a problem with the OneCare install on Vista - normally. Defender cannot be removed from Vista, but it will be disabled by OneCare.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:22 PM