WHS Retail update from free 120 day trial RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS is a homebrew version, and has run perfectly for the entire 120 day trial period.  My trial is over in 13 days.  I have taken the following steps to upgrade my WHS:
    -purchased OEM version P/N X10-52148 Windows Home Server
    -started setup for WHS; existing Connector SW removed by wizard and new Connector SW installed
    -expected WHS setup welcome screen; did not appear
    -went to \SVR_2003\setup.exe on WHS disc, and error appeared, "can't run setup on windows compatibility mode, open disc and click on "setup.exe"."  unfortunately, there is no setup.exe at the root of the WHS OEM disc.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?  The install brochure that came with WHS OEM SW indicated that the upgrade will run one time from the setup Welcome screen when installing from a computer that has the connector SW installed and is direct-connected to the same router.  This is the way I am configured.  My next approach might be to uninstally the connector sw completely and start fresh from the \WHS\setup.exe on the WHS OEM disc.  I can't believe this is any different as the "old " connector SW is uninstalled by the wizard anyway.

HELP!!! 
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:09 PM

All replies

• My WHS is a homebrew version, and has run perfectly for the entire 120 day trial period.  My trial is over in 13 days.  I have taken the following steps to upgrade my WHS:
    -purchased OEM version P/N X10-52148 Windows Home Server
    -started setup for WHS; existing Connector SW removed by wizard and new Connector SW installed
    -expected WHS setup welcome screen; did not appear
    -went to \SVR_2003\setup.exe on WHS disc, and error appeared, "can't run setup on windows compatibility mode, open disc and click on "setup.exe"."  unfortunately, there is no setup.exe at the root of the WHS OEM disc.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?  The install brochure that came with WHS OEM SW indicated that the upgrade will run one time from the setup Welcome screen when installing from a computer that has the connector SW installed and is direct-connected to the same router.

I'm not sure where you got that info from, but that is definitely wrong.  Where did you get the brochure from?

This is the way I am configured.  My next approach might be to uninstally the connector sw completely and start fresh from the \WHS\setup.exe on the WHS OEM disc.  I can't believe this is any different as the "old " connector SW is uninstalled by the wizard anyway.

HELP!!! 
    Please see the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:43 AM
  • In answer to your question, the brochure is printed by Microsoft and comes with the software.  I don't care what they say, just tell me how to do the retail upgrae for the server.  When I boot the server SW from the server, I do NOT get two selections of "New Installation" and "Re-installation".  I only get "New Installation".

HELP me please!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:33 AM
  • In answer to your question, the brochure is printed by Microsoft and comes with the software.  I don't care what they say, just tell me how to do the retail upgrae for the server.  When I boot the server SW from the server, I do NOT get two selections of "New Installation" and "Re-installation".  I only get "New Installation".

HELP me please!

You didn't say that was your problem the first time.

In order for Server Reinstallation to be an option, you must A) see all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (and if you don't, provide the necessary drivers so you do) and B) have the primary drive as the first drive WHS sees.  Typically if you have a PATA hard drive in your server, it will be seen first.  Otherwise, if all of your drives are SATA, the primary drive will need to be plugged into "port 0" (or similar name) on your mobo.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:43 AM