Two Anti Virus/ Spyware programs RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows Live Onecare & TrendMicro's PC-cillin Internet Security at the same time. This seems to slow down my computer, especially at start up. Is this true? Do I get additional protection with two running side by side? Should I simply uninstall one of them? If so, which one is really best- if you can answer this objectively? 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:49 PM

Answers

• You may actually get less protection by having two antimalware applications installed. Because they conflict you should uninstall one of them to better protect your computer and restore its performance. Having used both One Care and Trend Micro my preference is One Care but you must decide which program you are more comfortable with and which program has the features which most suit your needs.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:32 PM

All replies

• You may actually get less protection by having two antimalware applications installed. Because they conflict you should uninstall one of them to better protect your computer and restore its performance. Having used both One Care and Trend Micro my preference is One Care but you must decide which program you are more comfortable with and which program has the features which most suit your needs.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:32 PM
  • I also have OneCare on my system, but I was on the web yesterday and I still got an Add ware attatch itself.  Its called Windows Protection Suit and it keeps poping up with windows saying my system might get a virus.  then it sends me to it's site and wants me to buy the program...  how do I get it off my system?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I also have OneCare on my system, but I was on the web yesterday and I still got an Add ware attatch itself.  Its called Windows Protection Suit and it keeps poping up with windows saying my system might get a virus.  then it sends me to it's site and wants me to buy the program...  how do I get it off my system?

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:59 PM