Full Range of Garritan Instruments (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• vinci posted on 02-08-2011 1:54 PM

I have been using songsmith for a while now and I am very happy with the software. I do have a question regarding the sound quality of an exported .wav file and was wondering if you could assist me.

Although the sound quality is great for the intended purpose of songsmith, I was wondering if there was a way to hear the full range of sound that the Garritan instruments provide.  When I listen to just the individual instrument files, they seem much fuller than when a .wav file is exported from Songsmith. Is there something I can do to increase the export sound quality?

Thank you for working on such a great program.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:32 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 02-16-2011 12:25 PM

Glad you're enjoying Songsmith!

The sounds you hear in an exported .wav file are more or less identical to the individual instrument samples; very little transformation happens.  Of course with any sampler, if an instrument is sampled at C4 and you have a C#4 in your music, the sample will be distorted slightly when its pitch is shifted, but for this caliber of instrument (pretty lightweight in terms of sample size), the distortion will be pretty insignificant.

The only other thing that happens to the instruments is a little bit of reverb that gets added by Songsmith.  There isn't really a way to control this in the program, but if you're poking around the directory anyway... :  You can turn the reverb off by editing a file called "mysongconfig.txt".  Look for the line that looks like this:

REVERB_LEVELS 0.8,0.5,0.8,0.8,0.8

And change it to:

REVERB_LEVELS 0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0

You'll need to re-start Songsmith for this change to take effect.

I prefer the sounds with reverb on (as does Garritan; they suggested the reverb :!), but if you want it to sound more like the raw samples, turning the reverb off is the most significant change you can make.

Have fun!

-Dan from the Songsmith team

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:32 PM